Sunday 6 April 2014

Home

As I type, I'm sitting watching 'Sunday Brunch' in the background with some good coffee and some food slow-cooking away: both things that I haven't been able to do since I moved to Nepal. I suppose it's an appropriate image to start my blog entry about moving back to the UK.

So, I've now been back in the UK for almost three weeks now and it's as good as I hoped. In fact, I would argue that it's been overwhelming actually! I've spent inordinate amounts of time getting myself organised, meeting lots of friends and starting my training for work. It's been tiring to say the least but I have loved every second of it, and I'm glad I decided to move back. Over the three weeks, I've visited the cinema, met with loads of friends, drank plenty of good beer and ate lots of good food. I've been a regular socialite and, one of the nicest changes for me is that I can hang-out with my friends and actually be able to say 'I'll see you in a few weeks' rather than 'I'll see you in a few months'. I've even been able to make plans for the near future, which is something that I haven't really been able to do in Nepal and I've been able to reschedule plans as well (something I could never do when living in Nepal).  It really does make a difference not having to plan everything to the finest detail and it removes a lot of sad goodbyes, replacing them with 'see you soon'.
So, that's a little bit about my new social life. What about work? As for work, it's exciting being in a new high-paced environment, learning about my new job and meeting my new colleagues. It's very early days but I think that it could be an exciting job. Time will tell though!

However, being back has really highlighted that it's the small things that really get you when you leave somewhere, not the big things. Getting used to an entirely new culture or cuisine or place is fairly simple and it just takes time but for some small things, you might not be able to do them again until you get back. It's the small things that you took for granted, things like a cooking program you couldn't watch, meeting a friend for a coffee one evening and not having to worry about not seeing them for another 6 months or baking some bread in an afternoon, just because you think it will be fun. These are the things I've been trying to enjoy over the past few weeks and whilst it has been fun carrying out these tasks, it's almost just as fun just remembering about what I can do now and then planning to do them. I've actually had to start a list (surprise surprise – Ed) of all the things I want to do that I've missed otherwise I forget them and I'm adding to it almost everyday. Somehow, I don't think things will be boring, for a few months at least.

I enjoyed my time in Nepal but I've now moved onto the next stage in my life and I'm excited about it and I'm excited about what is in store for me. I don't think I've been able to explain myself very well or explain how I feel about being back but I've added a picture below which I think sums up my feelings. It was taken on my first night out back in the UK (which was an amazing night).



Pick of the week

Beat Your Exams – Michael is launching a brand new website to help you pass your exams! In his own words (stolen from his website – Copyright Ed): “Whether your exams are two weeks away, or you're just starting a new year of study - my tips and strategies will allow you to work smarter, not harder, and beat your exams”. Check out his website (link in title), sign up and take his advice. Trust me, he knows what he is talking about and even if you're not studying, check it out and I guarantee you that you will learn something new. And to all you teachers out there, it will be a great resource for you and your students to use.  If you ever listen to something I suggest, make it this. 


Music of the Week

Rob Zombie – We're an American Band. Get it listened to. Don't argue, just do it. It will make your day and get your feet tapping.  Brilliant cover to really motivate you.  I listen to it regularly, especially when I need to work myself up about something. 


So there we go.  I'm back in the UK, for better or for worse.  I hope you enjoyed reading it and I'll see you next week!  

No comments:

Post a Comment