Sunday 13 April 2014

Edinburgh, one pub at a time

Geez, is it Sunday again? What happened to the rest of the week? I remember waking up on Monday morning then suddenly, WHAM, it was Sunday again. Potential time travel aside, that means that it's time for another blog! Excited? Ok, don't answer that. So what has happened in the last week then?

Well, it turns out that I'm not exactly great at making origami jumping frogs. I'll admit that it was my first attempt but it just came out...wrong...like it shouldn't exist. I'm sorry Kermit the jumping frog but I'll make v2.0 even better! And dammit, we will jump like no-one has jumped before!


Other than my perhaps over-the-top attachment to origami jumping frogs, I was also shown around Edinburgh a bit by my sister (Thanks Kate!), which was a nice way to learn a little bit more about where I live. Opting to bypass the bus (It was a rare nice day – Ed), we walked down to the canals, with a quick pit-stop at my sisters 'local pub' The Golden Rule, which despite being a 45 minutes walk away, I felt quite honoured being shown. Oh and if you're wondering, it's a nice traditional pub with a good selection of ales, lagers and beers: Caesar Augustus beer is pretty damn good. After a while we finally arrived at the canals (I won't lie, I didn't even know that Edinburgh had canals) which heralded our arrival to the main city.




Now, as the day was more about getting my bearings in the city and finding out things to do in the future, this won't be the most descriptive of blogs but I did get some nice pictures! What followed after the canals was some wandering around the city for a while, with my sister pointing out certain areas; nice pubs to visit; and some good places to view the castle. Finally, we ended up having a cheese and meat platter in the Brewdog bar (and another beer, of course).









Splitting up, my sister went shopping and I wandered around the Royal Mile until my eye test (My eyes are healthy! Yay!). Now, a lot of people don't like the Royal Mile, but I really enjoy wandering around it as it always seems vibrant and alive, with lots to see (Give it a year – Edinburgh Ed). To illustrate my point, I did not wake up on Saturday morning and think to myself 'I'm going to see a man swallow a sword today' and yet I did, along with a few lubrication jokes. Sadly no pictures though, but use your imagination.









So a nice lazy day, with a couple of beers and the opportunity to wander around a genuinely beautiful city.


Pick of the Week

BeatYour Exams (Kindle Edition) – OK, I know that I mentioned the website last week but now Michael has a book on Amazon! The book offers you a range of psychology hacks, productivity techniques and study aids to help ensure that you pass your exams. Do yourself a favour and check it out, especially if you have exams.


Music of the Week

Hmm it always interests me that some weeks I have a song days in advance and others, it is a really struggle.  Annoyingly, it's a struggle day today.  UUUUUMMMMMM...  AHHHHHHH...  EHHHHHHHH...Ok, I've got one: Chthonic - Sail into the Sunset Fire.  A great band and a great song.


Ok, that's it from me and I have a driving lesson today, so wish me luck!  Though I do already have a driving license...hmmm.  Word of warning: Ollie may feature prominently as I'm seeing him next week! 

No comments:

Post a Comment