Sunday 6 October 2013

Project Atoll: Those Paths We Walk Update 5: This wasn't in the script?!?

I've said it before but nothing beats a good book, some coffee, breakfast and a rainy day to make you feel relaxed and, after an incredibly stressful week, it was exactly what the doctor ordered. It has been registration week for our students which has meant having to help around 100 students complete their registration throughout the week, whilst continuing with all other jobs. Very tiring but it's nice to see our students become university students!

To add to this, I've also found out that I've got my next Taekwondo test in a few weeks, so time for me to get some serious stamina training started! Seriously, I've been told I could be asked to perform up to 260 kicks in a row, on top of everything else. I'm aching just at the thought of it, so really need to get some serious work in. As such, I really enjoyed my morning with just my book and some fruit and yoghurt all the more. It just clicked.

And so, we come to today and the 99th blog post I've wrote. Next week is my 100th post which is kind of exciting but that is for next week and let's face it, who really cares about the 99th?. So, this week, it's time for another 'Those Paths We Walk' update and I'm pleased that it's been going well and that I've been pretty productive the past few weeks!

As of now, I have already entered the script writing stage and I have 24 pages of script complete, with 4 scenes now finished and I'm well into the 5th scene as well. I'm still not going as fast as I would like but this can't be helped, sadly, as I still have various other jobs that I need to do. Despite my slower speed, I've begun to get a really good feel of the characters that I have been writing most about (Curtis, Huan and Xin Na). Curtis is a slightly shyer character who acts formal/polite with people he doesn't know but when he is with someone he likes, he can get over-excited about subjects he is passionate about (in this case Asian History, the city of Hong Kong and Scotland) whereas Xin Na is friendly but business-like and doesn't always appreciate jokes at 'improper' times. And Huan...ah Huan. I'm going to have a lot of fun with Huan (rhyming is fun). Huan is going to be that uncle figure who buys you alcohol and tells inappropriate stories at inappropriate times but will always make sure you're ok.

As for content, well I can't reveal too much (well he could but he won't - Ed) but the first few scenes have been concentrating on Curtis's arrival to Hong Kong and meeting his new colleagues. He is also given a short tour of some of the key sites around Hong Kong by Huan (and they end up in a dive bar, of course) as well as being shown around his neighbourhood. This is really just a light-hearted introduction to the story and some of the characters, with a few set-ups being laid down at the same time. This allows me to have a little fun with writing, and due to this, I ended up with an unplanned monologue by Curtis about Scotland and Hong Kong...in the middle of a supermarket.

Finally, I can reveal this: during the 5th scene, it is revealed that Xin Na has always wanted to live in Spain and was even accepted for a prestigious scholarship allowing her to complete her studies in Barcelona. However, she ended up unable to go, due to some reason which will be revealed (but not here - Ed) and which will help set up the main storyline.

To end, I think I'll introduce you to a new character and one who will also help shape the story, though he plays a minor (if key) part: Xin Na's fiancée.


Guo Hanzi

Sex: Male
Age: 31
Nationality: Hong Kong
Favourite Food: Lemon Chicken
Least Favourite : Stew
Having met Xin Na at university, Guo quickly became enamoured and he felt a connection with her and as such, pursued her. He also feels very protective over her and doesn't like her to be away for too long. Guo is an artist who concentrates on oil paintings but hasn't been hugely successful for the past couple of years, which had made him a little bitter of Xin Na's successful rise at the European Embassy. He can switch between romantic/loving and angry in the matter of minutes and is known to be temperamental.


Pick of the Week

The Farseer Trilogy – This is one of the first book series that I've read repeatedly and to be honest, I probably read it once a year. Following the life of Fitz-chivalry Farseer (the bastard child of a would be king), the series reveals his training as an assassin, his role in a war and his turbulent childhood coming to term with his 'wit' power: a power that is feared but allows him to connect with animals. Throughout the series, Robin Hobb manages to create a beautiful, detailed and tragic world that is filled with vibrant and dangerous characters who will keep you interested throughout. If you like fantasy, check this out.



Music of the Week

This was one of the several songs that I remember would be played in the car during long trips (ah the days of tape cassettes) and it remains a great song today which conjures pleasant memories of it being dark and wet as we drove down to the motorway to Birmingham.  The Animals - House of the Rising Sun


So that's it for me this week and it's the big 100 next week!  Eeek, I'm nervous!  I wonder if I could get 100 views or 100 shares for it...until next week!

1 comment: