Sunday 20 October 2013

Don't even get me started on wrapping paper

Last week, it was the Dashain Festival (the equivalent of our Christmas period) and so, I had five days off and what a wonderful holiday weekend it was! It was truly glorious! I went out for steak; played some video games; watched a two-part Chinese epic; tried some Indian wine (not great); got my visa for China; and made same brilliant ramen. Plus, it was the first time since Christmas that hadn't got up to an alarm. It was so nice just to relax and unwind for a period, especially after the busy admissions period. I'm feeling relaxed and rejuvenated! That was...that was until I remembered the time of year it was...

You see...it's almost November which means that it's getting closer to Christmas and me coming home! However, this is also a terrifying time as well. Perhaps not terrifying for most but it is for me. You see, on top of buying Christmas presents, it's also my entire families birthday in November. Now, don't get me wrong: I really like getting people presents: it's the actual choosing of presents that terrifies me, and with both Christmas and birthdays so close, I have to think twice as hard.   Basically, I'm terrified that I get people something stupid or useless that they don't like. I'm getting better at this but that's only because I spend weeks and weeks planning out for different contingencies and for different options (seriously...I have already spent several hours making plans and lain awake at night as well. I have a word file. This depresses me as I type). I'm aware this is stupid but I've always been pretty poor at choosing presents and I really want to break this streak.

So why I am writing about this is my blog, especially when I could be writing about multiplying dogs (this is true...by the end of the day, my neighbours had 3 dogs all at different times, when the day before they had none)? Is it because I've had a slow week and perhaps don't have much to write about? Perhaps. More likely, it's because this applies to buying people souvenirs for people as well. I used to have it simple...get them a nice piece of local art work but then I realised...I really can't keep buying them things for their walls...unless they want a cheap alternative to wallpaper. This caused me to re-evaluate just what I got people when I was buying present. The following picture is a scarily accurate description of me when souvenir shopping



As such, I'd like to spare you the mind-numbing terror (hyperbole much?) of gifting buying with a few simple tips I've learned:
  1. Would you display it or use it yourself? This simple question may help you avoid buying something a little tacky (of course, there are exceptions to this)
  2. Can you get it home? Yes, I agree that this 30 squared feet handwoven Tibetan rug would look amazing in your grandparents boudoir but I'm not sure it will fit in your hand-luggage. An extreme example but you get the idea. Just like when eating, your eyes can be bigger than your stomach...er suitcase
  3. Will it survive? There would be nothing worse than finding a great gift for someone to only have it smash to a 1000 pieces when you get back or for it have rotted away (like some soybeans I bought once)
  4. Have you bought something similar for them recently? You can get lots of items for them e.g. local food, pictures, figures, books and much more!
TL;DR Robbie has too much time when getting presents and had a slow week


Pick of the Week


ShopTo – In those two times of the year when I'm buying video games (i.e. when I'm in the UK), I usually check out ShopTo first. With great deals, free same-day shipping and a huge selection, this is a great site to use!  Just have a browse and I'm sure that you will find something you like!


Music of the Week

This week, I found out there is a new Soil album...WHY DID NOBODY TELL ME?  Ok, so it's my fault...anyway, this week is a song from the album.  Soil - Shine Down, enjoy!


Well then, it's about time I started going back to planning.  See you all next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment