Sunday 27 October 2013

It's just a bit of a waste really...

So let's talk about waste! Or more specifically, food waste. This week, like many people, I read an article about almost 30,000 tonnes of food being wasted each year: both by supermarkets and ourselves. Now, I normally don't write about current issues and news items but today I felt inclined to, especially as an ex-employee of Tesco (but I'm sure it isn't limited to Tesco).

For many years, both at School and University, I worked at Tesco and there was one thing that I learned fast. Food is wasted. One of my tasks was to clear out the bakery and to sometimes clear out the 'waste' section. And by clear out, I meant throw out trays packed with perfectly fine baking goods (baked that morning) and more often than not slightly damaged goods or perfectly edible goods past their 'sell-by' date. It was a horrifying trend that would often result in 4 or 5 bin bags full of good food being thrown away each day, and this was just a small local Tesco. I actually asked why we didn't donate this food to local homeless shelters and I was given this heavily paraphrased answer:

'We don't because management is worried that we could be sued if someone we donated the food to gets sick'

Would it not be simple to pass a law or a condition that states 'you are eating this donated food at your own risk and you are not allowed to sue'? Perhaps that may be harsh, but it would allow a lot of food to be given to hungry people. Nor is it that difficult to tell if food is consumable or not. Now, I realise that this may be simplifying things but there are simple solutions to a major problem and it needs to be changed.  Obviously, there are hundreds of different options we would take as well as hundreds of obstacles but companies can't continue like this.

The other issue is us wasting food at home. Now, I'm in no position to lecture anyone nor am I going to be arrogant enough to suggest what needs to be done but this needs to be changed as well. I used to be awful when it comes to wasting food: I had to throw stuff away on a regular basis as I bought too much or forgot I had the stuff but then I started to make a few changes. I shopped weekly, I worked out how much fruit and veg I needed and if there was anything left, I would make a soup or a stew that used them all up and could be frozen for future meals. Small changes that made all the difference in using food and kept the cost down as well.  

As I said, I'm not not in a position to talk but this needs to be changed from both the supermarkets and our sides.  I've only brushed the surface of a very sensitive and complicated matter but it's something that can be changed from home.  One day, I might come back to it and talk about it in more details but if you're wasting food regularly, then maybe it's time for a change.

Ooft, sanctimonious and fleeting rant over! As for this week, I've been concentrating on finishing my China trip but I've still managed to find the time for my next Taekwondo test which was held today! There is something masochistic about having to complete a normal training session followed by a full test (which includes repeating everything you've learned multiple times for each leg/arm). However, I'm pleased I got it completed before I left for China. Now just to wait and see if I've passed!

Finally, as I will be in China for over a week on holiday, there won't be any posts for the next two weeks. I'm sure you'll survive and I'll be thinking nice thoughts about all of you as I gorge on Chinese food!


Pick of the Week

Golden Time – One of the best animes this season, it follows Tada Banri: a new university student with amnesia. He meets Mitsuo, a beautiful young lady who is rather obsessively in love with her childhood friend, Yanigisawa...who is not her biggest fan. What follows is story of heartache, love and friendship as these three plus their various friends navigate university life together. Good animation, endearing characters and a complex story line dotted with humour makes this a must see this season.


Music of the Week

Thanks to Grant Black for the song of the week this week! Stonesour – Tired! I listened to it once and have listened to it regularly since. Enjoy!


Well, that's it from me!  I will speak to you all in a couple of weeks...hopefully with a nice travel blog about China!  Until then!

No comments:

Post a Comment