Sunday 25 August 2013

Travelling Alone Part 2: I think my map is upside down...and on fire.

Now then boys and girls, gather round and gather close: it’s time to continue our story about the lone traveller and his merry adventures! Yes, last week we started to look at travelling alone, specifically looking at the cost of travelling alone. This week? Well, this week we are going to look at the planning side of things when travelling alone and how this can be both a good and bad thing. So what is it like to plan travel on your own? How does it affect you? Is it really not butter?

For an unseasoned (ha, the only way you’re seasoned is if you spill pepper over yourself – down to earth Ed) someone who isn’t used to travelling on your own, planning can be a daunting, exhausting but ultimately rewarding ordeal. The first time I travelled on my own was in Tanzania. I had travelled there with a group of my course mates so we could carry out research for our dissertations and once this was done, the group split ways for a week or so to go travelling. I, as you may have guessed, ended up on my own for the most part and spent my time in Dar es Salaam and Zanzibar. Now, although I enjoyed myself immensely (two of my favourite memories are visiting the spice farm and eating surprise pancakes on my hotel roof – both in Zanzibar), it was a shock to be on my own in this far and distant land. I had to rely entirely on my own planning and preparation! It was up to my sense of direction to find the places I want to go (…that explains why he ended up in Zanzibar. He was actually looking for a nearby restaurant - Ed)! It was both liberating and terrifying to have such freedom on holiday, especially as I was so used to family holidays where I would let other people decide what we would do.

Back then, it was frightening for me to have to plan the trip myself. What did I want to do? Where should I go? Should I stay in the city or visit the countryside? How do I get there? How many places can I visit in one day? What happens if something goes wrong? Now, whilst I like to think I have holiday planning down to a fine art (Translation: militaristic planning and too much free time/lack of a social life – Hard truth Ed), this was an entirely new sensation for me and one that many people travelling for the first time will experience. To be honest, I messed up a few times because I wasn't hugely prepared and I didn't know what I needed to do. Additionally, I left it to the last minute to plan which meant I wasn't prepared. For example, on my first day after the fieldwork finished, I had planned to travel to a nearby village to check out a cultural school there but as I woke up early the next morning, it suddenly occurred to me: how was I supposed to get to the bus station at 6am in the morning? Normally, transport had always been sorted for me and I had completely overlooked it. Embarrassing yes but a good example of how just one small piece of information can easily be overlooked, when on your own. Now, this could happen when you're travelling with friends but there is a much greater chance that somebody will turn around and say 'how are we getting to the bus station'? On your own, it's somewhat less likely that someone will say this to you so you need to ensure you're a little prepared for travelling and that you've tried to think of everything you need to do.

This pressure can be overwhelming at first but it can be a joy as well. Yes, you need to put in all the work yourself when deciding what you want to do on holiday (Yes, I realise that some people don’t like plans but this is for people who do like to have, at the very least, some plan) and you need to do various types of research (I spend ridiculous amounts of time doing this) but it’s your decision. See a quirky museum you want to go see that no-one else would? Enjoy it, you lovable weirdo! Want to spend 8 days tracking mountain goats in the wet Appalachian Mountains? Get your raincoat and goat tracking kit (?) ready and off you go. Plus, when it goes well and you have an amazing day that you completely arranged yourself, it's that much better. You really feel like you've achieved something but, just as easily, if you mess up, you feel that much worse, so you need to be careful.

This also applies to when you are actually on holiday as well. As you are on your own, you can adapt and change your plans when and where necessary, without having to worry about what the other person thinks. My first night in Hong Kong, I had planned for a quiet night as I had flown through the night and hadn't slept well but ended up befriending an American and a few beers later, returned to my hotel room somewhat later than I anticipated. This resulted in getting up later than I planned the next day, which in turn forced me to re-arrange my remaining days to fit in what I wanted to see but this was ok as it was just me. Despite a slightly miserable museum tour in the morning (always carry water), I still able to see what I wanted another day and didn't have to worry about ruining the trip for anyone else. In fact, the day I ended up going to the Museum of Art turned out to be the free-entry day, so it worked out even better as I didn't have to pay! Do you know how many egg custard tarts you can buy with the cost of a museum entry ticket? This is probably the biggest advantage of travelling alone: being able to do exactly what you want, whenever you want.

However, this ends up highlighting the final part of travelling alone: the actual being alone part but that's for next week folks. Yes, it's a short entry today but it covered what I wanted it to and besides, the final part is the most important part of travelling on your own, so I want to make sure that I do it right.



Pick of the Week

Servant xService – Time for another anime recommendation and this time, it's a slice of life series! Focusing on a group of twenty-somethings who have started working in a government office, this is a lighthearted series that examines their working and personal lives. With an eclectic mix of characters including an over-eager cosplayer; a talkative grandmother; a talking stuffed animal; and an obsessive little sister, you know you're not going to get bored...especially as that is just the supporting staff! This is slice of life at it's best and is great if you're looking for something that you can relax and enjoy.




Music of the Week

It's always hard for me to pick a song, as there are so many to select.  However, this week it's easy as I've been listening to it for a while. Introducing Miyavi - Secret.  Enjoy


So, that's it from me this week!  The final part of Travelling Alone will be published next week plus we are getting closer to the 100th blog post!  So, if you have any suggestions for what I can do to celebrate, I'm all ears!  See you next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment