Sunday 9 June 2013

Long Hong Kong Weekend Part 2 - Tea, Trams and sensory deprivation???

Before we dive right back into Day 2 and Day 3 of my Long Hong Kong Weekend, I'd just like to congratulate Michael and Cara who just ran 31.5 miles to raise money for Unicef!  Well done to the both of you: you are a great example to the rest of us!  Now then, onwards to the next part of LHKW!


Day 2

Slightly later than planned (damn you Lan Kwai Fong), I got up and tried to find somewhere for breakfast and settled for a full looking cafeteria a couple of streets away, where I had a sweet roll and a coffee.  Now, a sweet roll is basically a toasted roll with condensed milk.  Healthy...and delicious.  Making my way to the MTR, I headed to my first stop of the day: the Hong Kong Museum of History.  Before I talk about that, I really want to rave about the Hong Kong electronic payment system: the Octopus Card.  Now, this is a card that you load up with a sum of money and it can be used in a huge amount of place: multiple shops, the entire MTR systems, buses, ferries, etc!  The coup de grĂ¢ce?  You don't even need to take it out your wallet/purse!  You just hold it to the scanner and it registers it.  Love it.  So, back to the museum.  Starting from the formation of Hong Kong island, travelling through pre-history to the present day, this is an interative and informative museum that is well worth the ten HK dollar (about 80p).  Wandering the 8 (large) sections of the museum, you get a detailed insight into the daily life and culture of all the people who have lived in Hong Kong, from the early hunter - fishers to the invasion of Japan to the present day.  To put it bluntly, this is museum that gets it right.  My only issue is that a couple of sections are haphazardly arranged but that's just a personel preference.  Note that you need a two to three hours to see this properly and I would recommend taking some water.

After the museum, it was time for a little bit of film, this time in the form of the Hong Kong Avenue of Stars.  Again, somewhat bluntly, this is a Hollywood clone but, as a fan of Chinese film, it was pretty fun to see.  Set against the stunning harbour back drop, it was a pleasant walk, checking out all the stars and trying to find the ones that I actually recognise.  Then, I came across the Bruce Lee statue which was just the cherry on top.  A quick lunch and then it was time to head to my next venue.







Dialogue in the Dark.  Dialogue in the Dark was my next stop and, perhaps, one of the most unusual things I have ever done.  Why?  Simply because as part of this experience, I was blind for 75 minutes.  DITD is an 'experience exhibit' which is trying to raise awareness about being visually impaired.  It first caught my attention the first time I visited Hong Kong but I never got to check it out.  This time, I decided to try it out and I'm glad I did.  The idea is that the participant is 'officially' blind for 75 minutes and you are required to participate in what would normally be seen as mundane activities e.g. going to the market or walking through a park but, as you are aware, you are blind so it's significantly less mundane.  Plus, all the tours are led by the visually impaired, so it's a great opportunity for them as well. 

As I arrived, my mind was racing at how they would blind me. Blindfold?  Dark room?  Squirting lemon juice in my eyes?  As it turned out, it would a dark room and I mean dark.  You couldn't see your hands right in front of you nor do your eyes ever adjust.  You are (very) effectively blind.  After being handed my white cane and after entering the first room, I'll admit that I felt a little panicked: I had to navigate through a series of rooms with seven other people with nothing but a cane and my hands to guide me.  How in the hell could I do this?  Thankfully, it turned out there was a guide named Susan to help us through the darkness, using her voice.  As she spoke to us and guided us, we traversed a variety of different rooms e.g. a park, a road and a boat (all areas native to Hong Kong) and learned to use our canes, ears and hands.  We also bought beverages from a bar whilst blind as well.  It's hard for me to describe what it was like in those rooms but I can say, I have a huge amount of respect for people who have to live like this on a daily basis.  You really do take for granted having sight and without it, even just sitting can be an entirely different scenario.

After emerging, quite literally, into the light, it was time for the Ladies Market (not just for ladies, I might add).  Now, the Ladies Market is a series of pedestrian streets covered in a variety of market stalls selling a huge variety of counterfeit items and it's a huge treat for the senses just wandering through all the different items such as tea sets, T-shirts and umbrellas with gun handles, and with flashing lights, shouting voices and bustling people.  As usual, be careful with what you buy as they can be dodgy and there is the usual no returns rule.  Ignoring this, I bought a t-shirt that turned out to be too small for me but it does give me a target to reach in term of losing weight!  In between each of the pedestrian streets are regular streets where you can pick up a quick and cheap bite to eat, e.g. the wonton noodle soup that I had for dinner followed by the eggettes (some sort of spongey, eggy small cake thing) and a mango juice.  Now, this is the kind of place where locals go to eat and give you a great view of local life.  This actually led to one of my more awkward dining moments as I entered the very local eatery and was sat at the same table as a very pretty young lady who did not seem happy at my arrival.  Cue me trying to eat as 'properly' and as 'gentlemanly' as possible, all the whilst giggling into my noodles as they kept falling off my spoon (it seems like the polite way of eating noodles in Hong Kong is by using your chopsticks to pile them on your spoon).  To finish off my day, I then headed back to Lan Kwai Fong for a couple of beers and some blogging before going back to bed.








Day 3

Much like a bat out of hell, such as Meatloaf sang about, Day 3 screamed up at me and it was time to head off to Ngong Ping, a temple attraction set up in the hills.  Getting up and grabbing a bbq pork bun (sweet mother of god these are delicious) and some water, I jumped into the MTR and headed for the cable car that would take me over the sea and up to Ngong Ping.  Eventually arriving (it was a long and windy trip), I stepped out into the clouds and entered the 'village'...a disney-esque street lined with restaurants and tourist shops.  Grabbing a coffee, I then continued to walk along the road and caught a glimpse of the giant Buddha sitting in the lotus position covered in clouds, which is the main attraction (for me at least).  I continued until I came across the entrance...a very long set of steps up a hill.  Quietly weeping and cursing, I crawled my way up and was rewarded with an unfettered view of the statue as the clouds were temporarily dispersed by the wind.  Inside was a short musuem which wasn't hugely impressive: it was much more impressive to wander around the outside in the clouds.  It gave it a much more mystical feel to it, being able to wander in a literal haze as you travelled around this symbol.













After decending down the statue and picking up my coffee (I had to leave it behind), I went for a short walk to a place called The Wisdom Path.  Set against a hill and in the shape of an infinity sign, the wisdom path was made up of a series of large pillars with a buddhist sutra carved into them.  Again, I couldn't have picked a better day to arrive, as the pillars were shrouded in a haunting fog cloud which just added a little bit of extra atmosphere as I wandered around infinity.  I'm not exactly the most spiritual guy in the world but this was quite touching for me: a mixture of the setting and the atmosphere, combined with the message of peace and 'emptiness'.



After trying to gain a little bit of wisdom (it's about time you got some - Ed), I then headed back albiet a little muddier and headed to a small temple nearby where I purchased some incense and burned it in one of their burners, making my prayer to whomever or whatever may be listening.  When in Rome eh?






Finally reaching back to the little tourist village, I headed to the 'Walking with Buddha' intereactive exhibit which was made up of two cartoons telling the story of the Buddha and then a small section where you insert a leaf into another object, make a prayer then walk through a fake forest with buddhist mantras inserted throughout.  Although it was an interesting enough experience, I really feel that children would appreciate it a lot more but it came with my ticket, so I couldn't complain.  Finally, it was lunch time which turners into a carnivores dream and allowed me to tick two foods off my 'to try' list for a decent price (especially for such a touristy area).  Yes, I was able to tear into a 'special coffee' (it has condensed milk in it), a bowl of rice and a large helping of Chinese style Roast Pork and Roast duck for around £10.  Delicious and good value!  I then jumped on the cable car and headed for my next appointment and one that I was particularly looking forward to: The Tea Tasting.

Now then, the Tea Tasting was something I found online that was held at the Lock Cha tea house in Hong Kong Park for free.  As it was free, I didn't know what to expect but I was pleasantly surprised by how good it was.  Just a shame I was wet from playing about in a fountain but it was worth it.







As I entered, I was greeted by a quaint but luxury interior that was dominated by a massive table in the middle, with a complete tea set on it, alongside several bowls of tea.  I was sat down at it and then, after staring at the massive shelf filled with tea, the others arrived and we started.  Now then, I'm a huge fan of all kinds of tea and always thought I knew a thing or two about it.  Boy, was I wrong. Over the hour, our tea master explained for us how to properly prepare, brew and serve the six different types of tea (Black, White, Red, Green, Greenish and Yellow).  She was hugely energetic, very involved and very gentle when performing the tea pouring.  I was genuinely blown away by how good this was, especially as it was free.  I learned how to use different tea pots; the temperatures different tea should be served at; and even about tea being used for decoration (flower tea).  If you're interested in trying different tea and learning about serving tea, please check this out.  It was the highlight of the trip for me.  

After buying some tea that most would probably assume was too expensive, I then rushed to my final port of call: the Peak Tram.  Now then, I had timed this perfectly as I wanted to get a view of the city during the day and during the night, so I had timed it to arrive just before sunset.  Rushing up the stairs as time was running out (I've rarely hated slow walkers more), I managed to make it in time for a few day pictures that were only slightly ruined by the cloud cover.  Having managed to get my urgent pictures before time ran out, I was able to spend a little time perusing the shops (where I bought a picture of Hong Kong) and have a quick snack whilst I waited for it to get dark.  Once again, I was able to tick off another two items from my 'to try' list.  This time, it was Hong Kong Toast (toast with peanut butter and condensed milk) and a drink nicknamed Ying Yang...this was a mixture of tea and coffee.  It wasn't bad (quite heady) but I don't think I'll make a habit of drinking it.  Finally, once dark, I was able to get some ok shots of the Hong Kong skyline at night but I think I may need to upgrade my camera soon, as I have trouble getting decent moving pictures and night pictures.









Heading down the tram, after a long day, it was back to the hotel for a shower and off for dinner at the restaurant I had really wanted to try (can't remember the name right now) but I was a little disappointed by the roast pork and roast goose that I had (though that may have been because it was the 2nd time that day I had roast pork).  A couple of uneventful drinks at a bar and then it was time for bed!  The final couple of days next week!


Pick of the Week

Attack on Titan - Humanity is trapped within a walled compound, designed to keep away the titans that appeared centuries ago: warped giants who seem to be intent on humanities destruction.  This was fine until a giant armoured titan appeared one day and destroyed the wall.  The story follows Eren and his friends as they train and become soldiers to fight off the titans, despite being completely out matched as well as examining their relationships and history.  This is one of the best animes I've seen in a while and certainly one of the darkest.  It isn't afraid to show raw emotion or kill of the characters but it doesn't do it in a gratuitous way.  It's well planned out and keeps you on the edge of your seat as it develops, as you have no idea what is going to happen and it often shows the characters at the edge of despair, with little hope.  As the trailer say 'the world is cruel'.  Watch this now, you won't regret it.


Music of the Week

Going a little old school this week with System of a Down - Mr Jack.  One of my favourite songs of theirs and one I had the luck of seeing live!


So, that's it for me next week!  The finale of Hong Kong will be next week, so tune in for that.  I realise that I've spread it over a few weeks but I've wanted to try expanding what I write a little bit, especially in regards to travel, so here is hoping it's turned out well!

No comments:

Post a Comment