Sunday 30 June 2013

Five more travel tips from some guy who uses planes sometimes

Recently, I've got to admit that I haven't been as focused as I have been (and that's saying something - Ed) which has meant that I've sort of been floating through my days and have been quite distracted.  In addition, I've spent a lot of time going through the various events of my life, trying to thing about what it means and where it's going.  This doesn't exactly make for a productive Robbie but I have been trying!  It doesn't really help that I saw a potential future me yesterday, which didn't exactly please me.  However, to try and combat this (as it doesn't make good reading), I found a Trapeze School!  What better way to get rid of troubles and woes than flying gracefully through the air as people cheer!  Though it's more likely to be fall into a net as people laugh and point... 

The only issue is that it's in New York but that leads nicely into my next point: my next adventure!  Yes, I have decided that this October (if I can get leave from work), I will be heading to Canada to see my old friend Matt and my new friend Brandi!  In addition, as I'm going to be in the general area, I figured I may as well visit the US for a short period as well...maybe drop in and see a few other friends whilst I'm at it...literally if I do the trapeze training!  Imagine that on my CV!  So, hopefully that is something I can focus on and get out of this haze.  In honour of this, I figured I would give another five tips for travelling.


Five more travel tips from some guy who uses planes sometimes 

Now, I'm sure there will be similar tips around the internet but these are just things I've learned on my travels, so hopefully they will be useful to you as well!
  1. Technology is your friend
    Yes, indeed it is.  Even if you're one of these people who can't tell an iPhone from a igloo, it can still be of great help (maybe just ask a tech savvy friend to help).  These days, everyone has a smart phone which can help but, if you travel a lot, I highly recommend purchasing a tablet with a keyboard attachment.  This means that it can function like a laptop whilst taking up much less space and weight.  Plus, for shorter trips, you can leave the keyboard behind.  Plus with skype and emails, having some form of technology can mean that you can keep in touch with everyone you need to, whether it's with a tablet, smart phone or laptop (or anything else that may exist).  I know the idea of holidays means that you're supposed to be getting away but it doesn't hurt either to be reachable!  Plus, on flights with limited entertainment, having a tablet can me you can have your favourite book, music and television show.
  2. Sleep is your frienemy
    Now, this is aimed at those people who are travelling far and whose sleep patterns may end up somewhat disturbed due to time differences.  Sleep can be a double edged sword when travelling and what I've found is that the best thing to do is to try and get a few (only a few) hours of sleep at a time that reflects your destinations night, even if that means staying up longer than you planned.  This has helped me reset my body clock to ensure that I sync up with my destination quicker.  I learned this after my first trip home after moving, where I ended up shattered at 9pm every night and waking up at 6am.  This didn't exactly make for a great holiday, so the next time I got a few hours sleep after staying up until it was night in the UK.  By doing this, I was able to function a lot better and gain back a normal sleep pattern.  Additionally, if you end up sleeping for your entire flight, you'll just mess up your sleep schedule even more (though I do realise people often need to sleep on planes)
     
  3. Plans can help
    This is aimed more at those with a long stop-over between flights.  For me, I've found that having a loose plan/routine really helps pass the time during those eight hour stops, and to keep me from wandering around in a daze especially when I'm just getting off the plane at 2am.  For example, when I'm flying back to the UK, I normally:

    • Get off the plane etc (as it would be awkward if I didn't)
    • Get something to eat
    • Do any shopping I need to do 
    • Grab a coffee
    • Sleep for a few hours (when it's the night in the UK)
    • Have a muffin for breakfast
     
    Now, I know that to some people, a plan is the devil and I'm not suggesting you sit there and plan your time minute by minute but for me, it gives me something to look forward to during the long stop in Dubai.  Additionally, it breaks up a very long wait into several smaller time periods, making it less daunting.

  4. Rock yourself to sleep
    Airports are noisy places, even at night.  People walking and talking; vehicles driving; and announcements being made all add to the disturbance which is kind of annoying as, for the most part, you want to sleep at night.  To help reduce being disturbed by your surroundings, what I usually do is put my iPod on as I try to sleep (at a low level) and set my phone alarm for 30 minutes.  What this does is two-fold.  First of all, by having my iPod on, it creates a white noise that begins to drown out the noise around me and helps me sleep.  Secondly, by having my alarm set, it removes the worry that I may oversleep and miss my flight.
  5. Smile!
    It doesn't hurt to smile and be polite to people as you travel!  It may make the difference between a good trip and a great trip for either yourself or a stranger.  Just remember that whilst you've been sitting down for seven hours on a flight at night, the flight attendant has been working that entire time or when you're asked to go through the scanners, the officer has been patting down a hundred other people.  Just make sure you don't thank the guy who pats you down...they don't appreciate that.

Pick of the Week

Final Fantasy 3 - Now, the reaso I'm picking this is because you can now download it for tablets now.  In true Final fantasy form, this is an epic sprawling adventure that puts you in charge of a group of adventurers trying to save the world!  Along the way, you get to meet some eccentric characters, listen to some ear-achingly good music and explore a world full of wonders.  Now that it's been rereleased as well, your treated to new jobs and new graphics as well!  Great for that morning commute!


Music of the Week
Thanks to Michael for this one: The Coup - Guillotine.  Now, I'm more familiar with Boots Riley from Street Sweeper Social Club but The Coup are a great listen and politically motivated as well.  So enjoy!
Well, that's it for this week!  Next week, I'll show you how to turn an ordinary vacuum cleaner into a jet pack! Or not.  I'll decide later.

No comments:

Post a Comment