Monday 3 September 2012

sunsets and body parts


I’m going to start this week with a secret…a secret that only one person knows in this world.  A secret so dark, you’ll never look at ANYONE the same (can you tell somebody found the strike-through button…dammit, you can’t censor me!!! – Ed).  Despite being single, I already know how I am going to propose.  Once again, I will give you a minute to stop giggling.  Better.  It’s true: I decided on holiday that I wanted to propose to my future wife in Hong Kong Gardens (subsequently, to any future girlfriend I suggest going to Hong Kong with, if you don’t want to marry me, just tell me.  At least I can save the plane ticket cost).  

When I first entered the park, I was amazing about how well park greenery and city skyscrapers meshed together and I thought that was a really beautiful achievement.  Not only that but I felt a sense of peace that I would love to share with my spouse, especially as it is my favourite place in this world right now.  So, why am I revealing all this and potentially ruining what little internet credit I have left?  Because it almost got knocked off its number 1 spot (candidate for best segue ever? - Ed) 


However, the story doesn’t start there so please bear with me.  Ok, my Sunday started off fairly normally… with the exception that I got flown to Chitwan for a small presentation being held by TBC: all in all, a good start to the day.  This was exciting in itself but was soon overshadowed by a new experience:  I flew in my first propeller plane (that I am aware of)… 



…and it was terrifying.  Don’t get me wrong, it was very exciting once I got used to the (much) small cabin and the buzzing of the engines I really enjoyed it.  It was just the lift off: the slow whine as the propellers began to swing to life…the creaking of the body as we jerked into movement and the mind-numbing terror as we lurched into the air.  And I’m a good flyer.  I do exaggerate a little: I was a little tense when we took off but afterwards I enjoyed the flight more (especially as it took 20 minutes).  After landing, I was met by Suman, the portal to my new experiences.  After being picked up, dropping by the hotel and spending a couple of hours replying to emails, my next experience came out of nowhere.
 
I had lunch.  I had Taas to be precise but that wasn’t the most interesting (though it was some of the best mutton I’ve had).  No, what was the new experience was the 2nd dish…which was basically assorted sheep.  By the end of the meal, I had not only tried the mutton but also sheep liver and sheep heart.  Yup, I tried heart…and it wasn’t too bad either.  Quite tasty in fact.  Suman did seem to take a lot of pleasure in waiting for me to put it in my mouth then telling me what it was though…hmm.  So, experience number two in less than a few hours.  

After lunch, I was then took on a bike ride though one of Chitwans jungles and it was glorious, just riding over the bumpy track through miles and miles of dense forest (until the bike almost fell over in a massive puddle – Ed).  If you had asked me what I was going to be doing today last week, I would not have said this.  Just the sheer feeling of peace that overtakes you as you stare into a lake in the middle of nowhere is glorious.  However, that still wasn’t the experience…


Nope, that came next as, after now having driven through miles and miles of rice paddies, we turned into what is described as the sunset area: Sauraha.  Essentially a small (touristy) village right next to a river, we drove right to the end where there was a large stone path and a small open-air bar.  Here we strolled up the stone path which overlooked the river before wandering back to the bar.  Now, for the next part, I cannot stress enough how relaxing it was: just sitting with a beer and some food (including duck chilli) watching the sunset over the trees.


Being about 5 metres from the running water, surrounded by jungle and a beautiful sunset was just a glorious moment of relaxation: something I haven’t really felt since Hong Kong Gardens.  Just being able to let go of everything and enjoy the surroundings is something I am truly awful at but here I was able to do this.  This almost knocked Hong Kong Gardens off its throne but even so, if you ever come to Nepal, I recommend you head to Chitwan and have a beer whilst the sun sets.

My night was then ended with some Dal Bhat with Suman and his family before back to my hotel room and a laptop full of work!  Tired was an understatement…Next morning, before breakfast Suman had one last surprise for me: he took me to the main river in Chitwan (Narayani river) and we overlooked it for a while at a Temple before we rode along the riverbank for breakfast: another Nepali traditional food (I can’t remember the name but it had Oil Roti, vegetables and a sweet pretzel shaped item). 

Altogether, I had an amazing time in Chitwan and thank you very much to Suman for showing me some of the area and for inviting me into your home: it was a great day.


Pick of the week

‘Rough guides’ for kindle - Before you anti-kindle people start lighting the torches and grabbing the pitchforks to the shouts of monster, I prefer real books.  I love sitting with a book and flicking through the pages and I honestly hope that they never get replaced…hell, I don’t even own a kindle, I have a tablet with a kindle app (splitting hairs much? - Ed).  However, I have found that having a travel guide (in this case ‘Rough guide to Japan’) for kindle or tablet is actually amazingly useful. 

For one, I live in a country where it can cost almost twice as much to buy a book, so financially it helps but that isn’t the main reason.  Nor is the fact it is easier to drink a coffee and turn pages at the same time (brilliant by the way).  Nope, the biggest selling point for me is that I can easily book mark pages, highlight text and easily find what I have marked again.  For somebody who spends a ridiculous amount of time planning (you have no idea – Ed), it is great to be able to read through a page then highlight a certain restaurant or museum etc that has interested me.  Not only that but I can also add notes to the page as well: for somebody who reviews places, this is amazing as I can easily add different notes afterwards as I usually carry my tablet with me (note: not during…I like enjoying the situation whilst I’m there…not tweeting about it):

Of course, there are problems with it e.g. it can be a little difficult to highlight text at the edge (as it can turn the page) and some of the maps are pretty useless but altogether, I find it really useful when I’m planning my trips: it gives me extra levels of highlighting without damaging the pages…plus if I combine it with online maps and GPS, it means I can easily find recommended locations and restaurants/bars


Music of the week

Three songs in one post?  Not since the summer of '69 has music been so abundant...or something.  One sone each from each of the bands I have been listening to this week:

Linkin Park - Lost in the Echoes

Weerd Science - Aslyum in Skin

Head Phones President - Hello


Well, I'm too tired to attempt anything more so I'm going to reheat some chinese and finish my cup of tea.  Mug life yo!

No comments:

Post a Comment