Tuesday 28 August 2012

SO HAPPY AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH


*EDIT*  MY MONEY IS IN AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!  I could cry! Ahem, now back to our scheduled blogging*

If somebody had told me that growing up was going to be so much stress, hassle and cleaning, I would have run away to Neverland and joined the lost boys.  I’m pretty sure that tangling with ticking alligators and pirates (the whimsical kind, not the modern kind…AK 47s are not my idea of fun) is a lot more fun that standing in a bank for an hour and a half.   Perhaps I’m wrong but it just seems like it would be more fun.  Oh how I can dream.  Regardless, I have hopefully dealt with my bank situation but I need a couple more days to find out.  A couple more nerve-wracking, sleep-reducing days.  Bet Captain Hook didn’t have to deal with this. 

Probably the biggest news of my week is that I made my TV debut this week.  My thrilling chess exchange (it lasts for one move – Ed) and eventual defeat (you lost in the aforementioned move – Ed) is being aired across Nepalese TV as we speak. 



Got to admit, it is pretty cool to be in it: not many people can say they’ve been in an advert and it will certainly be going on my CV as a talking point.  That’s about it for my week sadly…unless you want to hear about my travel plans or that I’m slowly continuing the various projects I’ve been working on?  No?



Guess that leaves me no choice then.  I guess I am actually going to have to do something constructive and travel related then.  Are you sure you don’t want to hear about every single boring detail of my life?  Wasn’t the internet made for that purpose?  Well, that and for arguing with and insulting people (Don’t be stooped.  Teh internetz wuz made 4 Memez idiot – anonymous ed).  *Sigh* constructive and helpful it is.


Five tips for travel (and even for living abroad)

Yet another catchy title that just rolls off the tongue!  Today, I’m going to give five tips that I have found to be useful, either when travelling or moving abroad.  Who knows, I might even be able to help somebody out! 


Know when to haggle:

A simple one to begin with is the art of haggling.  On holiday or when living abroad, in contrast with the UK, haggling is often expected (and can be part of the fun) but you need to know when to do it.  Otherwise, you may look a fool or worse, insult somebody.  For example, in Nepal, you would haggle in tourist shops but not regular shops.  Another example is that you should haggle with taxis but not with buses.  Different countries have different rules and knowing when to haggle may let you save some money and save some face (generally, you should take about 30% off prices given to you in Nepal I have been told).  

Even better, if you know the area a bit or know the general price of what you are trying to buy, you may realise that you are actually getting a decent price, which means that you don’t need to haggle and everybody wins.  

Ask a local or somebody from where you’re staying for advice about prices or haggling, should you need it.  This can help greatly and will assist you in the long run.  Also, remember that in some cases, that extra 10p you are trying to get off your souvenir might matter more to the seller than you…so as a friend would say ‘don’t be a dick’. 


Plan it…oh and try google map:

Yes, I know that for some people, planning your holiday is the devil but it can be useful.  For me (I’m actually an avid planner), I find it useful in maximising what I get out of my holiday.  I’m not suggesting you plan every single second in military-esque detail (says the person who does do this - Ed) or that you should spend every waking moment sightseeing but if you’re going to see one particular thing e.g. a castle, google it and you never know what you might find within walking distance (hence google maps – continuity ed).  It could save you time and money by reducing the travelling times and expenses.  Plus, some experiences actually have to be booked in advance, so it never hurts to check.  It also works with restaurants etc as well, ensuring you can try the best places to eat as well! 

One example is that when planning a day in Kyoto, I found one place (Nijo Castle) I wanted to see so I googled it and managed to find another five highly recommend locations nearby all in a near-perfect walking route: that’s me got one entire day sorted out.  Hell, I even found a place where I can get a cup of tea along the way.  With a plethora of travel books and websites, it’s easier than ever!   


Eating out:

Time to roleplay a little:  I’ll be the knight and you be the princess you’ve had a hard day sightseeing/sunbathing/sleeping and you need to have something to eat.  You take a casual walk into town to look for food but all of a sudden, you’re presented with street after street of cafes and restaurants, all trying to convince you to eat there (Rue des Bouchers in Brussels springs to mind).  Where do you go?  For me, I have a simple method of deciding:

I try to go to the busiest places and if possible, the places that are filled with locals

Sure, it might not always be possible as it is too full or perhaps it takes a little extra time to get served but often it pays off: if it’s a crap restaurant, people aren’t really going to eat there, are they?  Especially not locals who could eat at home.

Rue des Bouchers


Resting:

If you’re anything like me, you will try to cram as many activities into your holidays as possible.  Sleep is the enemy, right?  This is great as I am a firm believer in seeing as much of as a country/area as possible on holiday, especially as I’m paying to be there.  However, I am starting to realise the importance of actually stopping from time to time and enjoying the scenery.  You don’t need to spend every waking minute doing something.  I’ve learned that it’s quite nice to have a few beers by a harbour in the afternoon or to nap on the beach for a morning.  

Whilst I will never become somebody who sits by the beach/pool all week (nothing wrong with this, it’s just not my thing), I feel that doing this for an afternoon or so can really add to the experience and will refresh you a lot more for further sightseeing!  Especially for many working people, who go on holiday then go immediately back to work, this can be a real boon: after coming back from my holiday  home, where I spent almost every minute doing something, I was shattered then I had a full week of work to survive.  

So add in an afternoon for sitting in a park or for having a beer by the sea: it will work wonders!  You deserve it! 


Learn your food:

For me, trying new cuisine is a major part of going on holiday (or eating in general) and nothing beats finding a new favourite dish but for every one that you like, you may accidently find one you don’t.  Before going to a new country, just quickly find out about some of the local delicacies – it will give you an idea of what they are without having to try and translate them on the menu.  I understand completely that trying new food is exciting and, as mentioned, a part of the experience but there is a difference between trying congee (rice porridge) with fried pork and trying congee with curdled pig blood (A dish I almost ordered in Hong Kong but I wimped out).  

By all means, try as much new food as you can but if you draw the line somewhere, it’s worth preparing before you go to make sure you don’t end up sick.  As before, the internet is a great place to check out local delicacies and it only takes a short time to check: it may just make your trip even better!

Er...dried things I found in Hong Kong


Pick of the week
 The Lizzie Bennet Diaries - Ok, perhaps not what I would watch normally but I am enjoying this particular web series.  Essentially a web diary detailing the life of Lizzie Bennet; this modern twist to Pride and Prejudice is entertaining to watch.  Shot in front of one camera in a bedroom, the actress (no idea what her name is) does a great job of bringing to life here character and the events going on around her!  Check it out.

Music of the week

I got given an album from somebody at college last week and I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the album as it was home recorded!  Check out this Nepalese band and if you don't like heavy music, I might give it a miss: Kalodin - Souls of the Dead  



Well then, enough from me.  I hope that my tips have been useful and if not, oh well!  It's not like this is a travel blog...oh...  Have a good week everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment