Sunday 18 March 2012

How hard can it actually be to date a film star?


Hmm still no date yet with Ellen Page.  We need to work harder with this!  Ask everyone you know and by six degrees of separation, we might actually get one of my life goals achieved!  If the internet wasn’t created to do this, I don’t know why it was created in the first place.  Anyway, this is a blog of two parts today.  The first is job related and the second is a new life goal (one that is infinitely easier than getting the aforementioned date).  Before I talk about these things, I have two quick points to make                                      
  1. Goats are unusually calm and collected when bus surfing
  2. I saw a Death Note T-shirt and now I want one!
Moving on!  Working in admissions of a college, I have done a lot of things:  I have spoken to potential students in the college and at education fairs; I have written reports based on our figures; I have answered every potential questions from parents that is conceivable; I have given tours of your facilities; I have attended staff meetings and educations fairs.  I have done a lot of things but there is one thing that has stood out in my mind as the most enjoyable.  

This is the part when I can tell a potential student “Congratulations, you have been unconditionally accepted into your course”.  Through the entire application process, this is the part where I can actually change that person’s life, hopefully for the better.  It might seem silly but it is true.  Since we actually deal with all applications on a face to face basis, the admissions department at the TBC get to know all the various students quite well.  Due to our application process, they come to the department multiple times e.g.to ask questions; to fill out the application form; for the entrance test.  Basically they come in numerous times and it is the admissions department that is with the student at each step and I can honestly say that it is a genuine pleasure to see them reach their end goal: entrance to the college.  

I can remember the first time that I was able to tell a student that they were now fully enrolled.  The person’s face (who shall not be named) lit up like it was Christmas.  It was then I realised that all the work I did, leading up to this point, was completely worth it.  I realise that I won’t always enjoy every aspect of my work, that is just fact but I at least know that there is a light at the end of the tunnel and that every now and again, I can make someone smile.

And now for the second part of my blog! Yay!  I want to live in Japan.  I do and for many, many reasons e.g. food, anime, films, culture etc.  I have my reasons and in the future I would like to live there (several years in the future most likely).  I think one of the main reasons though is for the experience.  From my own research that I have done, living in Japan seems to be quite unlike living anywhere else in the world.  I mean, they have hand-crank powered vending machines!  However, having never visited there, this is all speculation on what I research.   

That said, I like to think I am slightly rational and I do intend to visit Japan before I move there, to ensure that I would like to live there (quite rich coming from the guy who move to Nepal with a 3 year work contract, despite never having visited before).  Chances are, I will either go at the end of this year (depending on various factors) or if not this year, I will go next year for definite.  Who knows, maybe this is my most achievable life goal yet.   

Pick of the week
So, time to end the suspense and reveal my picks of the week!

Death Note - Ok, I recommend a lot of anime these days but all for good reason.  Death note is an especially well written and dark anime.  First of all, the premise is that a young man finds a book in which, if he writes the name of somebody in it, they will die.  He then uses this to start killing criminals etc.  However, he then attracts the attention of a genius detective.  This is the story simplified but if I go into any more detail, it will start to ruin it.  
I know what you're thinking.  He writes names in a book?  How can that be interesting?  That is what I first thought but is incredibly well done.  The tension created by the writers is unbelievable and they deal with each character in a unique way, creating characters that you can get behind but at the same time, making you wonder who you should actually be supporting.  Add to this more twists and turns than a slinky on acid and incredibly clever plot devices that drive the dark themes forward, you will actually be on your edge of your seat, if not pressed up against your screens.  Even if you aren't a fan of anime but want a tense thriller, watch this.

Hmm music for the week? First of all, in keeping with the deathnote theme of today:  The first is Death Note - Low Of Solipsism.

 
The second is Raised Fist - Friends and Traitors.  An excellent song!



watch out for overhead goats!

No comments:

Post a Comment