Sunday 11 March 2012

Déjà vu


As I type, sat as usual on the roof, there is a wedding going on at the ‘Party Palace’ that is next door to where I live.  Congratulations to them!   It is fascinating to watch them all mingle together in their traditional suits and dresses: joined together to watch a new couple celebrate the future that they will have together.

Anyway, random paragraph aside, it is once again Sunday!  So what’s new?  Hmm first of all, the gas for my shower has finally ran out and due to various shortages, it may not be refilled again soon.  That is now my heater and my shower out, which translates to cold showers in a cold flat.  Plus, my cooking gas must be about to run out as well, so no cooking soon either!  Thankfully, I like sandwiches.  On top of that, my battery seems to have broken again so my kitchen, bathroom and bedroom light no longer works when the mains electricity is on plus the battery isn’t charging.  Ah, the joys of being an ex-pat! 

So this weekend has not been the best weekend but let’s ignore the negative shall we and focus on the positive!  First of all, I got to experience my first Holi festival in Nepal, a Hindu festival which celebrates the beginning of spring and the escape of Prahlad (a Vishnu devotee) who was carried into a fire by a demoness.  A vibrant celebration, people celebrate with bonfires and by throwing scented and coloured powders and water balloons at each other.  My friend Roshan and his cousin Rohan came round to my flat to smear the colour of my face, which was a first.  So thank you, to the both of you, for including me in the celebrations.      

Secondly, I’m coming home in about 6 weeks, and this means that I will be home for my birthday as well!  I am genuinely excited about coming home (only for a week sadly) and seeing my friends and family. 

These are people I haven’t seen since I left and that for me is too long.  They shall be the victims of many of my infamous happy hugs (patent pending).  Plus, as an added bonus, I will get to see my uncles (and hopefully aunts/cousins as well) on the Sunday night after I arrive as we are meeting for a roast dinner at the Fenwick Hotels Carvery!  This is especially good because I would normally see them over Christmas but didn’t this year, breaking what has been a Christmas tradition since I was born.
To prepare for my week (at least in terms of food), I am going to have to make a list of things that I want to eat when I get home (as well as a list of things to bring back to the UK and Nepal).  So far I have:

·         Cheddar Cheese
·         Home-made Pickled Onions
·         Sausages/square sausage
·         Donnar, Chips and Cheese or a Hoagie Wrap
·         Semi-skimmed milk
·         Pickled onion Monster Munch (I have an amusing image that when I fly back, I will have 30kg of monster munch as opposed to anything useful)
·         A chippy
·         Roast dinner (I realise you may look at roast dinner and think, why can’t you have that?  I don’t have an oven sadly)
·         Bacon
·         Macaroni Cheese
·         Irn Bru
·         Vanilla Coke
·         Steak and Ale Pie
·         Sausage roll

 
*Edit* Jaffa Cakes!  I cannot believe I forgot about Jaffa Cakes!  Sweet and delicious Jaffa Cakes!  they will be consumed!

I may burst when I get back and I am more than likely put back on the weight I have appeared to have lost… as I don’t have scales, I am going by the number of belt notches.  This is most likely due to generally eating healthier plus several doses of food poisoning since arriving.   

I cordially invite everyone I know in the UK to join me in my week of gluttony and any more suggestions that I have left out are always appreciated!  As I am sure you can probably guess, these are things I can’t really get over here, so I will have to make sure to have them when I get home.  Electronic is another area of items that I want to pick up when I get home as I am still unsure of the quality of the items I can get here and I could use a new microphone and a set of speaks for my laptop.

To sum up:  I am looking forward to a whirlwind week of seeing family and friends; eating lots of food; and buying various items I need. 

In that order.  It just occurred to me that I was may have touched on this a little last week but oh well, this is what happens when I stray from my original idea.  I was going to discuss my previous trip with my dad through France but this then popped into my head and my mouth started watering…     

Picks of the Week  

Ok, so I haven't used this site yet but I have listed it for two reasons.  The first is that I like the idea of it i.e. being able to order things from America and have them securely delivered to Kathmandu.  One thing I have had trouble finding information on is how to get items delivered here.  The second is that I would like to ask for information on the site e.g. has anyone in Nepal used it; is it reliable?; etc etc.

Music of the week 
Two bands with a common theme but very different style this week!  The first is the Mooney Suzuki - Alive and Amplified.  This song is so upbeat, it could wake the dead.


The second is Danko Jones - First Date.  These guys rock...pure and simple.  This is not my favourite song of theirs but it is one of the easiest to find!

So, I have actually managed to spend the majority of a blog discussing food stuff...not sure of that is a new high or a new low.  Either way, mission accomplished and I shall be retreating into the shade for a cup of coffee.  Have a good week

No comments:

Post a Comment