Sunday 5 February 2012

The Ex-pat Shuffle


Ok, I will get this out of the way quickly.  Last night, I was horrendously ill.  Not sure why, it suddenly came out of nowhere.  I was fine at 4pm then at 5pm onward, ILL.  Projectile vomiting ill.  Admittedly, when I first threw-up, I thought it was because I had drank too much liquid and I didn’t feel too bad just yet…so I continued with my plan of getting braised pork and Chinese bread.  Not my smartest idea.  Note to self: when sick, cancel all plans of eating for the foreseeable future.  Still not 100% but feeling much better i.e. no projectile vomiting.

That said, I am quite glad I went for that chinese food.  Obviously not because of me being sick but because it took about 20 minutes for the order to be cooked (in Nepal, most restaurants will allow you take their food home).  Despite being a 30 second walk away, I decided to just sit and wait.  This then resulted in me watching a Chinese version of ‘Take Me Out’ with two Chinese business men whilst drinking green tea.  It was glorious!  There was even a western woman in the group of ladies which suggests that I can get on the show.  As mentioned on my facebook, this now one of my many many goals!  Now where is my Chinese dictionary…

Moving onto the main topic today and perhaps the main topic for the next few posts.  Being an Ex-pat.  Whilst I have obviously been an ex-pat for a couple of months now, it only just hit me the many ways that this can affect me.  I had been visiting a department store as I had been told that there was a decent hairdresser next door plus I know that it had a good supermarket in it.  So, as I travelled to the top of the building, I noticed there was a furniture store at the top.  I went for a look and I was really impressed by the high quality furniture on the outside, so I decided to go in and see if I could get anything nice for my flat.  Wandering around, I found various pieces of furniture that I liked but came across a really nice storage unit that caught my eye immediately.  It did what I needed it do and looked great as well!  Perfect!
  
However, that is when it struck me.  There was no point in getting it.  Why?  Because of being an ex-pat, that’s why.  Whilst I enjoy living in Nepal, I don’t plan on settling down here.  I am hoping to work here for a few years then eventually head off to another country to live and work.  Due to this, I have to be careful with what I buy.  The cabinet display thingy would have been a nice purchase but I would have been forced to leave it behind, which I would be loathe to-do.  If I buy items, I have to ensure they are something I don’t mind leaving behind/selling or something that I can take with me or have transported easily.  I used the title ‘My life in 30KG or less’ in an earlier post and never has this been so true.

That said, all the benefits of working and living Nepal drastically outweigh the negatives.  Plus, the reason I plan on travelling and working around the world is so I can find the place I want to settle down and live.  Perhaps Scotland is it but at the moment, I am not sure and so I want to experience the world.  When I find it, I will make sure to inform everyone!

Anyways, enough of the semi-serious and deep chat!  Time for music and the internet!

In keeping with the ex-pat theme, Internations!  Should you be living in another country, Internations is a good way of meeting both locals and other ex-pats.  Meetings usually occur once a month but other activities are often organised.  A good starting point for a new adventure!


Hmm and for the music?  Two different bands, both of whom I have been listening to recently.

 The first is Blue October - Dirt Room.  I only discovered them last week (Cheers Drouin!) and they caught my attention!

Secondly, Alice Cooper - Poison.  An upbeat classic!

Finally, I would like to end with a thank you.  A massive thank you to the band Rabbit Junk for recording a happy birthday message and song for Michael.  It is amazing to see a band that loves their fans enough to do that!
Well then, enough from me.  See you next time!  Now then, to buy a mic...(Clue) 

No comments:

Post a Comment