Sunday 12 February 2012

Do Not Stick Your Hands Into The Exhibits


So, I went to an education fair for the first time…at least the first time being enclosed in one of the cubicles.  It was an interesting and zoo-like experience.  For those who aren’t aware of education fairs, a bunch of square stalls/enclosures are set up in a large hall, which are then filled up with the variety of species/universities.  Students/visitors then file in, usually with friends or families, to go see the enclosures/exhibits that interest them the most.  All in all, it is a fun-filled day out for them.  Whilst this happens, the various university peoples sit and watch the crowds walk by, occasionally interacting with them as they ask questions or sign up for a course.  Don’t worry though, they are well take care of.  They are fed and watered (with tea/coffee and water plus free lunch) and they are given plenty of toys to keep them entertained (well they get wireless…which these days is the adult equivalent of toys ‘r’ us).

Zoo analogy aside, I enjoyed it immensely for various reasons.  First of all, it was nice to interact with the students and families in a less formal environment than our college.  Chatting to them and their families revealed quite a lot about what they want from the courses, what courses they want and the main concerns that they have.  Secondly, it was nice to learn more about the University of the West of England and their associated colleges from people representing them as they are who we have partnered with.  

However, the main thing that really caught my attention was the event itself and the people who travel to these various events around the world.  Just talking to the two people I was working with, it became clear that this was just one of many places they would be visiting within the next month.  Between them, they would be visiting Vietnam, India, Bangladesh, Hong Kong and Thailand…just to name a few.  One of the ladies (a lovely lady named Kath, who I shared a stall with.  The other was a just as lovely lady Sadhana) actually informed me that she only had one day off in a month due to the various bookings.  

For me it was easy, I just got a taxi from my flat to the hall…these agents flew from around the world to represent the various colleges and will continue to fly around the world to other countries, long after I have curled up on my couch.  Despite this, they have to maintain a friendly and energetic demeanour towards all the students.  However, that is what draws everyone together.  Everyone there (with the exception of me) has flown in from somewhere and will be suffering from the same jet-lag as everyone else.  This created a group of people who can then share the joys of visiting a new country together, going and trying the local food and entertainment in the evening and, if they have time, seeing some of the sights.
 
Whilst I am unsure if I could do this as a full-time job, I think I would love to be able to this a few times a year for TBC as it would allow me to visit various different countries and get to meet new people and potential students.
Ok, so this wasn’t really the post I was planning but I genuinely enjoyed the experience so figured this would do!  So onto my picks of the week!

Philip Blenkinsop  - Ok, I will be the first to admit that I am not the biggest fan of photography, I like some stuff and I don't like other stuff.  However, I 'accidently' went to an exhibit of Philip Blenkinsop (and 14 photography students) work and I really enjoyed it.  I say accidently as I was meeting my friend Robyn there and we were going to go straight for some food but she suggested we stay and watch the exhibit as she had seen some of it earlier and thought it was great.  She was right.  His exhibit featured various guerilla groups that he had spent time with, all across Asia and I found it interesting (although fairly depressing).  If you are a fan of photography or even if you're not, it is worth checking out!

Hmm music of the week... my mind has went a little blank.  Annoying.  
...
....
.....
...... (Realtime thinking)

Excellent, I remember now.  Two songs again this week, which may become common place.  First of all, Gogol Bordello -Wonderlust King.  A Gypsy Punk band (according to Wikipedia), these guys will put you into a good mood no matter what.  In fact, should the apocalypse happen and I am the last person left (alive), this song will be the first thing I listen to.


The second is a slight change in direction, Mastodon - Crack the Skye.  I have liked them since Leviathan but recently they have really become a firm favourite, especially Crack the Skye.  Check them out! 


Anyways, almost time for me to finish.  I think I will try to stick to using Sundays as my main blog update day.  However, I may start including other things under different days e.g. reviews or something.  Will need to decide, any feedback is welcome!  Enough from me!  As usual, tell your friends etc and the facebook link now leads to the One-way Ticket facebook page, so join up!  I will leave you with the link to my youtube page as it has a couple of videos I made years ago, so if you are reaaaaaalllyy bored, check them out.

http://www.youtube.com/user/deathinfire29/videos 

No comments:

Post a Comment