Tuesday 12 May 2015

BBQ Bliss

Who doesn't like barbecue food?  Lots of people I suppose...particularly vegetarians and vegans.  However, I do like barbecue food (as in US style BBQ) and I was not disappointed a couple of months ago (yes, I'm somewhat behind on my blogging but, silver-lining, it does mean I have lots to write about).  You see, my friend John and I decided to go out for some BBQ and after almost going to Glasgow, we ended up in a new Edinburgh restaurant called Reekies Smokehouse.  I can't speak for the Glasgow restaurant that we didn't go to but I'm very glad we ended up here!

Housed in what used to be an old pop-up bar for the Fringe, and with what I'm guessing is quirky/cool mish-mashed furniture, it's perhaps not the prettiest place in the world but that's not really what you want from a restaurant, is it?  No, instead the restaurant does all it's talking with it's food.  And the food was glorious and simple: various types of well-smoked meats and traditional sides.  Ignoring the smaller rolls etc, John and I opted for the meatfest which is basically one of everything.  

Seriously.  

Everything.

We ended up with the following mains, and sides:

l  Burnt ends (the cut-off ends of briskets, rubbed in meat rub and covered in gravy)
l  Full rack of ribs, covered in the sauce of you choosing (you can get irn bru bbq sauce as well, which was tasty)
l  Pulled pork
l  Brisket
l  BBQ baked beans (with chunks of meat)
l  Meat rubbed chips
l  Homemade Pickles
l  Homemade coleslaw or 'slaw'

And here is a picture of that absolute mass of meat:


The food was even better than it looked: tender and well-flavoured, with plenty to go around.  I'm not going to sit and describe the food to you (I'm not a food blogger), but it was damn good and I really recommend that you try it.  If my word isn't good enough, you should know that the Edinburgh Brewdog pub is going to use their meat for their new BBQ pizza.  Couple the food with good craft beer (including Brewdog) and a passionate owner who is more than happy to chat to you, and you've got yourself a damn good afternoon.  And in my case, I was able to catch up with a good friend as well, which just made the day even better..


A short piece for this week but certainly a tasty one (He hopes - Ed). 


Pick of the Week

The Liveship Traders, by Robin Hobb - I've mentioned Robin Hobb before but I've only started reading this trilogy again, after stopping it the first time.  Despite stopping it the first time, I've really began to enjoy the story, as it follows several characters including a pirate king, a trader family and several ships who, as you might have guessed from the title are alive.  As usual, I don't do it justice but this is an epic tale over three books, following multiple paths of triumph and tragedy.  If you like (fairly) dark fantasy, check it out.


Music of the Week

Time for a oldie: Slipknot - Eyeless.  From one of the first albums I owned!  Enjoy all ye metalheads!


See you all next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment