Sunday 17 August 2014

I've peaked???

Ooft that's another week gone speeding by. Seems like you blink and miss half the week these days. That wouldn't be too bad if you didn't miss the majority of the weekend as well. I'm actually a little scared to go to sleep, in case I wake up and it's Christmas. I realise that this is a regular feature of my blogs but alas it's a regular feature of my life as well!


So I was actually at home for a long weekend last week (which explains the lack of a post, as I was on holiday), as I had to go to the dentists on Monday (My teeth are fine, yay!). Kind of depressing when you start using your holidays just to carry out tasks like going to the dentist and getting a haircut, isn't it (It's that time of year again when I have short hair, to make me less hobo-ey)? Despite this, I ended up having a pretty fun weekend anyway, as it's always good to see the parents and to get cuddles from this little guy:


Obligatory Ollie Picture
Although my time at home was the usual relaxing and unwinding, my dad and I also went out for a walk on Saturday (pretty much the only good day of weather for the entire weekend) up Lowther Hill and as usual, it's just a reminder of how beautiful Scotland can be. Except, that is, for the massive flight radar and winding road up at 700m on the peak. I appreciate that they are needed but you could make them a bit nice looking...put some moss over it or something.  Hell, paint a giant smiley face on it!  Freak out pilots looking out their window to see the hill smiling at them...


So, the walk was really enjoyable and I'll put the pictures up below (it's a picture blog, this week, so limited reading necessary – Ed) but one of the best parts was that I learned a new activity from my dad, whilst we were walking down the hill: screeing. Now, time for a lesson for those who don't know: scree is a pile of broken rocks that have been created by weathering (See, you can learn with my blog – Teacher Ed). Okay, back from the classroom and onto what screeing is! Screeing is the art of sliding down the loose rock to speed up the descent!  Although you are sliding through it, it's controlled as you reaaaaalllly don't want to fall over in this stuff.  It would strip you to the bone.  It's a pretty fun way to get down part of the hill and is sort of like skiing without snow, as you have two walking poles that can help you slide. I reckon it should have been added as a commonwealth sport: the screeing championship!


All in all, a great walk and a great weekend!



















Pick of the Week


The Fringe – Now this is a very loose recommendation for the week but if you can, go check out the Fringe! I appreciate it's late but there is still two weeks left, and there are loads of shows left as well! I've just had a great weekend seeing various shows and just wandering around as well. If you have some time, check it out, especially as there are loads of free and cheap shows as well!  So far, I've seen taekwondo percussion, outside grand pianos and a tv game show with no cameras or tvs... but more on that next week!




Music of the Week



This week, the song of the week is Liam Lynch - United States of Whatever.  Why?  Because whatever.


Fringe blog next week!  See you then.

No comments:

Post a Comment