Sunday 22 June 2014

What can you buy for 40p?

*Warning: This post is firmly tongue in cheek but 40p? How can I not be outraged*

Now then, I've always aimed for this blog to be a happy place on the internet, sharing my adventures and thoughts and hopefully bringing a smile to, at least, one person's face. I believe there is enough anger and vitriol online without me adding to it (though plenty of positive as well – Ed). However, today is a day my blog turns down the dark path, if just for a while. The hero becomes the villain (the definition of delusional – reality check ed). Light becomes dark.  Night becomes day etc etc.  And what caused this shift? The newly opened toilets in Glasgow Central have raised their prices by 10p, to 40p. It's an outrage!

Does 10p mean much to you? It didn't really mean much to me I thought to be honest but I might have been wrong, as I discovered after visiting Glasgow Central's toilets (though when living in Nepal, it meant more but different situation, so meh). However, the fact that they feel the need to charge me more to 'answer nature's call' is horrific. The fact that they charge me in the first place is bad enough but 30p was fair.  It was acceptable; I could live with it. But 40p? That's outrageous. It's robbery.  Think of all the things I could do with 40p!  Like uh...so what can you buy for 40p these days? I had a think about this and decided to do some research so that you don't have to!  Let's have a look:
  • A 10 pence mix up (Oh inflation, you)
  • 1kg of Tesco value rice
  • Multiple own-brand noodles (for all the young students)
  • About 1/3rd a litre of petrol
  • A couple of bananas
  • A school meal
  • A curly wurly (Used to go nuts for these as a child)
  • Any number of things from a charity shop
  • My silence
  • One hug from Ollie (send fees to me please)
  • 0.0000002% of sending a man to the moon 
So not much but that isn't the point! We need to make a stand here and now before it's too late! Let's hold it in until we get home or get on the train! Sneak into a restaurants toilet but do not pay the 40p! Find a dark alley (Ok, don't)!  If you do, who knows what will happen next! Over-priced train tic...expensive bottles of wa...marked-up food you can get che...oooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.


Pick of the Week

The Hairy Bikers' Asian Adventure - OK, the title could be a little misleading but this is actually a cookbook (and a TV show - Media ed) and a great one at that.  If you've known me for more than 5 minutes, you will probably know that I love Asia and particularly, Asian food.  I also love the Hairy Bikers as chefs as well.  A match made in cooking heaven.  This is a great book with recipes from Japan (both rural and urban), Thailand., South Korea and China so you get a great mix plus they suggest ingredients that you can actually find without difficulty as well!  If you like Asian food and enjoy cooking, get this or even if you're not, why not try it?


Music of the Week

Today and in honour of my recent purchase, my music of the week is the London Philharmonic Orchestra playing the main theme of Final Fantasy.  Enjoy!


Well, that's it from me for this week!  Fight the man and pee at home!  See you next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment