Tuesday 11 March 2014

A Fond Farewell

Not going to lie. These past two and a half years have been an experience, in every sense of the word, but now it has to end. Yes, as you will have read in a previous post, I am returning to Scotland on the 14th of March for good. As I leave in a couple of days, I thought it would be a good time to write my goodbye and reflect on my time in Nepal! It’s not going to be long nor am I going to single people out. This is because I don’t like goodbyes (who does?) and because I’m not great at writing sentimental material. I also don’t like singling people out, as I always forget someone.

And what a time! Moving here all those many moons ago, I never imagined the experiences that I would have: both good and bad! I’ve met some amazing people, seen some brilliant sights and done things I never thought I would do. Since coming to Nepal, I’ve:
  • Seen the sunrise over the Himalayan Mountain Range
  • Watched goats bus-surf
  • Sat in a Buddhist Temple’s prayer session
  • Attended several Nepali weddings
  • Ate too many momos and samosas (That’s a downright lie! There is never too many – Culinary Ed)
  • Drank beer next to a great river after driving through the jungle at sunset
  • Practiced Taekwondo next to a temple that was first built in the 5th century
  • Gained my blue belt in Taekwondo
  • Spent New Year’s Eve looking over the valley
  • Watched elephants wander down the street
The best bit? These are just the tip of the iceberg: just the things that I can remember whilst I write. Nepal is a beautiful and interesting country and is well worth a visit, if you have the time and it will always surprise you. I’ve always maintained that Nepal will always have something that will surprise me and it has never failed to disappoint me over the past two and a half years.

It isn’t just the country either. I’ve enjoyed my job out here as well and I think it has been a great start to my career but it is time for me to move on. I can only hope that I’ve been an asset to the college as well. Just like living in Nepal, a day in my job at The British College is rarely the same twice. I’ve sat and contributed to high-level validation programs. I’ve dined with a King’s advisor and the country director of The British Council. I’ve flown to Bhutan, Pokhara and Chitwan for education fairs. I’ve been given a guided tour of the University of the West of England and I’ve given guided tours of our college. I’ve met students and their parents. Hell, there was even a day when I cleaned one of the bathrooms!

I’ve been given and trusted with so many opportunities and responsibilities since I’ve arrive here that I am truly humbled, especially for someone so early in my career. I’ve learned a huge amount since starting here and I know that it’s going to stick with me throughout my career and be a highlight. Hell, it’s not everyone that can say they’ve worked two and a half years in Nepal, is it? So, I just want to say a big thank you to the college and the management for trusting a young man at the start of his career…and I’m sorry for always arguing (but not too sorry)!

And so, we move onto the people I’ve met since moving to Nepal. As I said, I’m not going to single anyone out (as I would forget people and that just doesn’t seem very fair) but I would like to say a final thank you to everyone I’ve met for everything. I don’t think I could dream up a country that has such a helpful and welcoming attitude to other people. Whether it’s my friends and colleagues in the college, people I’ve dealt with in work, my taekwondo instructor or just people I’ve met, I’ve always been impressed by how friendly people have been to me or how welcoming they are. People have welcomed me to their homes, shared their food with me or just gone out of their way to talk to me our help me out (I don’t see Thomson Holidays sending someone out to my work to pick up a cheque). So thank you to everyone for being…well, just so nice!

I know that I’m not the most sociable person in the world nor am I always the most open, but please don’t mistake that for me not caring. I will miss everyone that I’ve met and I’m not sure that I would have lasted so long without everyone. You all kept me going, so thank you from the bottom of my heart.
However, it’s not all been fluffy goats surfing and good food: it has been hard at times as well. I can assure you that nothing makes you miss home more than having to take a cold shower in the middle of winter at 6:30am (my flat holds no heat at all). Since coming to Nepal, I have:
  • Frozen in my flat at winter
  • Not slept due to the heat in summer
  • Had more bouts of food poisoning than I can count
  • Ran out of gas so I can’t cook/shower
  • Missed my family and friends
  • Dealt with far too many cockroaches
  • Ran out of water for several days
  • Ate my dinner in the dark most Saturday nights
So why am I including these? Simply because, although I won’t miss them, they’ve helped colour my experience of Nepal! I’ve survived them and I feel that they’ve become a part of the full Nepalese experience for me. Without them, I don’t think it would have been the same at all! I’ve survived these and I know that I’m stronger because of them, so I can be thankful for them as well. That said, I can’t wait until I get back to central heating and regular warm showers!

Now that my whirlwind tour through my time in Nepal has come to an end, I would just like to say a final thank you to the people I’ve met; the college I’ve worked for; and the country that has housed me. Though it’s ending, this period of my life will always be important to me and I believe that it has shaped my future and myself and although I look forward to the next part of my life, I will recall Nepal and its people fondly as well, no matter where I am.

As for my next adventure? It’s a little closer to home but still new and exciting: Edinburgh. I’ll see you all there, shall I? Until then, it’s time for me to climb down from the roof of the world.



Pick of the Week

Sanepa Taekwondo Club – Before I go, I’d like to recommend again the Sanepa Taekwondo Club and my instructor Ashok Lama. If you want to learn Taekwondo (or just get fit) and are currently in Nepal, you won’t find better here (or many other places I would guess). Not only has he been a great instructor: teaching and training me well; answering my constant questions; and pushing me just that little bit harder but he has been a great friend as well. He’s took me to see some Nepali culture, we’ve ate together, we’ve trained together and we’ve laughed together. He has even provided me some of my most memorable moments (as mentioned earlier)

I honestly don’t think I would have done as well as I have being taught by anyone else. To contact him, either email him at zicaam@gmail.com or call him at 9818-035-900. Thank you Ashok.



Music of the Week

Thanks to Derek for the song of the week! It’s Linkin park featuring Rakim – Guilty All The Same. Enjoy.



Well, I think I’ve spoke enough this week. See you in Scotland.


No comments:

Post a Comment