Monday 9 September 2013

Just a quickie

It’s just a short update this week. As this week has been the very definition of a roller-coaster week for me and at this point, I’m both physically and mentally exhausted. I can’t talk about I much right now but next week, I should be able to. Instead, I thought I would just give my monthly update on ‘Those Paths We Walk’ and leave my next main post for next week. Apologies for this but if I did much more, it would be even less standard than normal.

The biggest thing this week is the fact that I've actually started writing the script now and have completed the first two scenes so far! Or, to be more specific, I've rewritten the first two scenes as I had already started these earlier. Thankfully, the first few scenes are really just introductory scenes which introduce some of the key characters and sets the pace, so they give me a bit of practice with script-writing again: something I've become lacking in. It actually took me longer to start script writing than I had planned due to my decision to go over the framework a third time. I decided to do this as there were a couple of sections I wasn't completely happy with and a couple of scenes had to be split up differently. They are now sorted for the most part and should now be ready to write…at least, ready to write with some editing on the fly as well.

A second thing that I wanted to talk about is actually an aspect of the story I've removed: imps/gremlins. Now, before you start wondering if you should feed them after midnight, it’s not that type of gremlin. In fact, they would never have been seen by any characters at all: only by the reader or viewer. Originally, I was planning to use them to represent depression in the characters, and their level of depression. For example when someone was happy, there may have been one lying about asleep but when they were really depressed, then there would have been hundreds of them actively moving around the room. Whilst I think that would have been an interesting way to visualize depression, I had begun to suspect they might distract from the actual story that was taking place, so I removed them from the script. This doesn't mean they are gone for good though! If people like them or if I think they can add something to the story, then I will certainly consider bringing them back from the dead.



Pick of the Week

Deus Ex: Human Revolution – This is a slightly older video game than I’d normally mention but I started replaying it last week and it still holds up. Set in a future where human augmentation is the norm, you are the head of security for a multi-national company whose been tasked with unravelling the web of mysteries surrounding the attacks that killed your girlfriend and left you as part machine. The game is split into two parts: mission and hubs. Missions, as you may have guessed, is where you have to complete the given task. However, you’re presented with a huge range of choices: guns blazing or stealth; hack the networks or turn security on the enemy; enter through drains or via rafters?


The hubs tend to be based around different cities, where you can investigate the black market, go shopping or simply explore the area. Here you can also take on side-missions, to help you gain some more experience to augment yourself further: another area where you get a huge amounts of choice. Do you want to become and armoured tank who can turn invisible and throw a vending machine? Would you prefer to be a silent assassin who can drop in from the roof without harm and launch an attack that knocks out everyone in the room? The choices are endless, the story intriguing and the characters human. Check it out.


Music of the Week

Going to go with an old classic this morning, as I was wanting to listen to this morning but I couldn't.  Rage Against the Machine - Killing in the Name of

 

Well, that’s it from me this week. As I said, it was going to be a short update this week but I will be back to regular updates from Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment