Sunday 28 July 2013

I'm Not a Morning Person

Congratulations to the vicious tag team that woke me up and then kept me awake this morning: it was a devastatingly successful combo.  First of all, there was the wake-up attack from the religious figure who stood outside my neighbours building, at 7am, chanting loudly until people gave him money.  Old school but effective.  His job done, he then tagged in the stifling heat which kept me awake with a series of continuous light jabs: nothing heavy but just enough to keep my attention.  As such, if you annoy me today, you risk being eaten.  

Everything does have a silver lining though.  In this case, I was able to hoover, have breakfast, get ready for Taekwondo and start (and now finish - Ed) this blog entry before I would normally be up.  Additionally, I had more time to contemplate why someone in my building turned off the electricity in my building for no reason last Sunday and why there is a very easy to access (for everyone) switch for turning off said electricity.  Mind boggling.  However, silver lining time again: I found out that my new back-up battery lasts for ages even with a PS3 and TV turned on.

However, you aren't here to listen to my problems, so I give you this weeks blog:


Robbie's Top Five Places in Kathmandu to Eat

Now, last week I gave you my five things to do in Kathmandu but here are five places that you should check out if you're like me and are hungry.  Now, I'm not going for any particular theme here nor am I concentrating on one type of cuisine.  These are just places that I have found to be consistently good to visit and would take someone to.

  1. Ram Bhandar
    Now, if you're in Thapathali (or near The British College), you could do worse than visit this place. Small and unassuming, there is a good chance you will walk past it but if you spot it, head straight in. This place does the best samosas that I have ever had and they cost you almost nothing.  Three good sized samosas will cost you 36 NPR which is roughly 20 pence.  They also serve a huge range of traditional Nepali and Indian sweets as well, which make great gifts.

  2. OR2K
    Look hard in Thamel and you'll find this gem of a vegetarian restaurant located down a side street, up a set of stairs hidden by a wall (It's like they don't want to be found). Don't let the initial dark interior scare you off either: just take off your shoes, find a comfortable cushion on the floor and get a menu.  Now, the restaurant is vegan friendly and serves a mixture of Middle Eastern, Israeli and western food, meaning there is something for most people (and Daal Bhat, of course).  All the dishes I've tried here are good but I would really recommend the falafel washed down with some mint tea followed by a Turkish coffee.

  3. That Little Corner Stall Next to the OR2K that I can't remember the name of
    Ok, I realise it is a little redundant not being able to name it but it's hard to miss.  In Thamel, there is a a food stall built into the corner of a block (next to the OR2K) which is little more than a wok, a counter and a small refrigerator but I'll be damned if it doesn't serve the best chicken wrap I've had. Wrapped in naan bread, as a regular wrap won't support the weight, this is stuffed with chicken, salad and sauce.  Simple and delicious.

  4. Kwality Royal Food
    I couldn't make a list without adding Dal Bhat, could I?  If you're looking for some Dal Bhat and a beer in Thapathali, I would recommend here.  Don't be put off by the rough interior (nor by the spelling of quality), as this place serves some of the best Dal Bhat I've had since I moved here (and I have had a lot).  Well cooked and plentiful, this place fills you up for cheap and keeps filling you up due to constant refills of everything.  Finally, everyone has a smile on their face and will chat to you, which really adds to the meal.  Great local restaurant.

  5. Roadhouse CafeIf you're looking for a good pizza (which can be hard to find here), the Roadhouse Cafe is the place to be. With three locations around Kathmandu, and authentic wood-burning ovens, you'll get a great pizza here and some pretty good garlic bread as well.  Also, if you go to the Foodmandu website, you can even have it delivered.  Nice for a change of pace and is pleasant to sit in.

Pick of the Week

Dan Bull - I was shown this guy's Youtube channel a while ago but I've kept up with it ever since.  Writing and performing rap songs to video game trailers, this guy is incredibly skilled and is able to vary his style to suit the game.  Great if you've got a few minutes to kill (or several hours) and you like video games and/or rap. 


Music of the Week   

Ok, going to go with the Lonely Islands - YOLO this week, as it features a Beagle in it and I want to hug Ollie.  The song is also pretty funny as well.


That's it from me this week!  I'm off to continue waiting for my Taekwondo instructor to arrive whilst reveling in the fact I've completed all the jobs I needed to do today before 11am.  I might even proofread this a little bit.  Maybe.  

No comments:

Post a Comment