Tuesday 12 June 2012

Bushy Brows


*disclaimer* This post will have many pictures in it.  If you are offended by pictures, why are you on the internet?  Weirdo *Disclaimer*

Well now, I have such a disgustfully and sinfully interesting weekend, I feel like I should go to a priest or a monk for a blessing or something.

.
..
OH WAIT, I DID!  BOOM!
..
.

Now that I will never, ever do that again, I will start at the beginning then eventually get to the slightly more accurate event of the story.
First of all, I have had a fairly busy week, as it is education fair time in Nepal, so I have been getting ready for that.  However, fast forward to Saturday, and I am standing and slowly cooking in ‘Ambition’, the education fair, cheerfully handing out leaflets and talking to interested students and so, I go for lunch.  During lunch, I sit with some students who are giving us a hand.  I’m sitting happily enjoying my Momos when it happened…

He guessed I watched anime by my face…

What.

The.

Hell? 

And it couldn’t have been that he saw it on my facebook, as my privacy settings are as high as they can be.  Do I have those stereotyped anime eyes?  Do I use over exaggerated facial expressions?  Do I run with my arms flailing behind(only when no-one is looking)?  Do I have anime hair and carry about ridiculously over-sized weapons (I don’t)?  

                                                (I sure as hell don't look like this)

So that was odd but nothing compared to my spontaneous and random portrait by a homeless person who had snuck into the fair.  One minute I was still cooking and handing out leaflets, the next he had dragged me to the side, sat down on the floor and started drawing me.  I gave him 10 rupees (the only change I had) which I actually think was a bargain.

                                             (At least somebody thinks I look that good) 

Onto Sunday then, my only day off in which I end up acting as the guide for a Leeds Met Representative.  It did, however, get off to an auspicious start.  You see, I had been asked if I was interested on Saturday and so I said yes, sure as I had never been to the Durbar Square in Bhaktapur.  However, I then never heard anything about it again so I assumed I would be told on Sunday.  

Fast forward a day and I get up at 8:40 and get into the shower.   The phone rings.  I ignore it.  Im drying myself and it’s still ringing…so I rush to answer it.  Turns out Bishnu, one of our drivers, is at the college to pick me up.  Uh Oh. So, throwing on clothes, I rush out to get picked up without even a drink of water, let alone breakfast and we head to the hotel.  Turns out, this hasn’t even been arranged yet and so we wait for about 30 – 45 minutes (time which I could have been happily munching on a bowl of cereals and drinking a cup of tea) for Andrew to get read.  As I said, auspicious start.
However, the wait became worth it as we arrived at Durbar Square, the final and most beautiful of the Durbar squares.  Just walking into the square was an event in itself, as the temples and ornate buildings just wash over you.  


As before, we hired a guide and I was pleasantly surprised about how good a guide he was (as I usually am).  He first of all took us round the main square, explaining the different temples and areas, all about the gods the worshipped and the meaning of all the different statues.  What is brilliant about these squares are that they are so well preserved, allowing all their ornate features and wooden carvings to transport you back in time but also, they are still used in everyday life so you get to see the temples in use.  Not only this but the tourism aspects of these areas are very low-key, so you don’t feel bothered by them and they certainly don’t affect the feel of the area.   




Next he took us down the various side streets, explaining about how Hindus cremate (and also bury) their dead, showing us the area that they do this.  Going through the narrow and stuffy side streets was an eye-opening experience as we passed people drying wheat, getting water out of nearly dry wells and just generally living their lives.  It just reminds you of how friendly and strong these people are: as you pass them, they never fail to give you a smile as they stand in line for hours waiting to get water. 




After lunch (and several cups of Masala tea), we then headed to Boudhanath, the worlds biggest Stupa.



Here we wandered around and on the Stupa, chatting about life and Buddhism, as he took pictures and enjoyed the sites.  I’ve been several times before but I always enjoy wandering round the area, as it just feels like a nice and calm environment to be.  After this, we then entered a Buddhist temple for a look around, when Andrew had an idea.  I won’t explain the full story (it’s not my story to tell) but he bough some red string to make into a prayer bracelet and went back to the temple.  He did this because he want the bracelet to be blessed.   After asking, the monk was more than happy to oblige and so I got to attend the ceremony as they monk chanted whilst pouring oil onto the string and burning incense over it.  It then culminated on Andrew being given a ‘Kata’ (scarve) and having the string (now a necklace) being put around his neck, and for the finale, the oil being poured onto his head.

Ok, so as I mentioned, I mislead you at the start as I attended the blessing, but was not part of it.  I do, however, plan on going back and getting one done in the future.  Out of respect, I don’t have any photographs but it was a genuinely interesting and exciting experience to be part of and I never expected to experience it when I woke up.  I think it is fascinating to see and be part of these ceremonies and to see one so close, was just a moment I will never forget.  You sit there and listen to the monk chanting, waving incense and ringing their bell and I can’t deny that it was a haunting experience.
So, I’ve had a great but exhausting weekend and it won’t stop there.  This coming weekend, I will be going to another education fair for the entire weekend.  However, this one is held in Pokhara, or as some sites call it: ‘the most beautiful place in the world’. 



So, I think I will survive.

Picks of the week
Fear Itself – The avengers!  Norse gods!  A red-faced bald female villain!  You had me ‘the world is ending soon’.  A birthday present from Michael, my fellow comic book entrepreneur  and oldest friend, I dove into this bad boy of a graphic novel at Glasgow airport (when I flew back to Nepal) and didn’t stop until I finished it. An ancient prophecy is about to be fulfilled and seven villainous champions for the true ‘All Father’ have been chosen and so, it is up to the Avengers to stop them.  The only question is, how do you stop the champions of a god, especially when the gods on your side have abandoned you?
I can’t really go into more without ruining storylines but the story is dark, gripping and extremely well written and the art work sets the scene perfectly.  It manages to concentrate on all the different characters within the story and how the react with what is an imminent and complete defeat: creating a graphic novel filled with highs and lows, often showing man and hero at their lowest points but often coming though their darkness into their own light.  A great story for any comic book fan, filled with norse mythology and kick-ass avenging heroes.  Pass me my cape dammit! 

Music of the week 
Hmm, another tough decision as I don't want to constantly link Head Phones President, as I have been listening to their new album for ages.  Hmm, so I will pick...  In Flames - The Quiet Place.  Love it.


Next post, expect many pictures from Pokhara.  Until then, google ' do a barrel roll'

No comments:

Post a Comment