Wednesday 2 November 2011

My Life in 30KG or Less


Well now, what a strange and wonderful past couple of days. I will skip mostly over the travel, except for any key points. Having left at 8:45am from my house, I arrived just under 24 hours in Sunny Nepal with 4 different currencies in my pocket and little sleep (plus I finally saw First Class! Way!). However, after a long Visa wait (with massive nerves thanks to the Glasgow Check in staff but it wasn't their fault and were quite lovely), I received a brilliant welcome! Kritika and Gopal, two colleagues, were waiting for me holding a garland of flowers and a bouquet! After getting in the car, they told me that my apartment wasn't ready (Oh god, John was right) but thankfully, they took me to the lovely Everest Hotel.
After a quick shower, teeth brushing and change of clothes. We headed through oh so horrible traffic to the Tamarind restaurant. Oh god, it was Nirvana. Kritika (whose uncle owned it) ordered for us and that is how I ended up sharing wild boar (x2); massive prawns in Garlic; chilli chicken; chow mein; chicken fried rice; a sichuan cauliflower dish; a mystery dish and wine. An epic meal! I then met my boss, who was pretty interesting. Very talkative and friendly but quite the perfectionist. So pretty much ended day one, other than getting things ready for work the next day.

So! Onto today, which had an auspicious start as my phone alarm decided not to work properly. So, after a quick shower and even quicker breakfast, I headed to work. Arriving at work, I met everyone and was shown to my office (Oh my) which I will share with the Vice Principle. I also found out that I am no longer the Admissions Officer but the Admissions Co-ordinator. So, I was sat at my desk wondering what to do, when I was handed my work laptop, which was a pretty awesome surprised. I was then tasked with looking over the website and finding any ways to improve it. Eventually, after several hours and much stationary being shipped to my desk by various people, I went for lunch. At the restaurant in the basement. This was where I had a massive portion a chicken chow mein, in quite a well decorated chinese restaurant. For roughly £1. I am going to get fat...So, the rest of the day went pretty well but was fairly non-exciting. Until the last hour. I got business cards. Business Cards. Hundreds. Then, (not as awesome but still pretty awesome), I found out I move into my new apartment tomorrow, which I will discuss later!

Now, I know you are all wondering what I had for dinner (I have sunk so, so, so low) and I won't disappoint! Chicken momos, Garlic naan (amazing) and Paneen vegetable curry washed down with lemon tea. Cost about £4.50. Fat...

What I will end with, and I will end soon as I only have an hour of net, is that the people in Nepal I have met so far have been amazing and have constantly bent over backwards to help me out and make me feel welcome. So, from the bottom of my heart, thank you to everyone I have met!

Anyways, off for a shave and beer, preferably in that order. Miss you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment