Thursday 9 July 2015

Eating my way around London

Ok, so it's travelling time again but this time, it's just me so it's slightly different from writing about Alison and me travelling!  Right?  It probably isn't?!?  Well, I will try and remember that for next time.  However, for today, you will just have to make do.

So!  Where am I off to this week?  Where in the world is Carmen Sandiego Robbie?  Well, I am off to London this week to visit Michael and Cara who have recently moved down.  So, after a rather disappointing lunch at The Streets, I jump on my train and away I go, filling the time with my sorely neglected 3DS and catching up with some anime and blogging...an actually rather enjoyable afternoon travelling.

Once in the big city, and having traversed to where I needed to go, I grabbed a coffee and waited for Michael and Cara to arrive.  After they arrive, and we've caught up for a bit, we began some discussions about what to do for the evening.  Now, whilst this would normally be an easyish discussion, there was a bit of a twist this evening.  You see, Cara had secretly arranged for Martin to fly down to London to surprise Michael and his bus arrived in the area we met, meaning we couldn't go too far.  Eventually, we decided on a small, independent Italian that served a delicious (and filling) chicken risotto and had a spectacular bottle of house red (whilst my opinion of the chicken risotto was just that, mine, the whole table agreed on the wine).

After dinner, it got a bit tricky as Michael wanted to go for a drink to another area but we had to try and stay nearby (made all the more difficult by a distinct lack of pubs nearby).  However, it turned out that Martin's bus would be another hour or so, meaning we had enough time to go to the next area.  

So, off to West Hampstead for an after dinner drink, at a place called 'The Gallery', a cocktail bar that was pretty brilliant actually, with great decor and pretty affordable drinks.  Some particular highlights were:
l  Getting a seat on a balcony, overlooking the bar
l  The hand drawn pictures on the beer tap (I had 'Beaver Creek Neck Oil'...see the picture below)
l  The bartender asking Michael and I to guess which number he was going to roll (we never found out why)
l  Our Smokey Hawker Martinis...made from Laphroig, Vermouth and Gin (which prompted the bartender to call us brave for trying it)





The best bit of the evening though was managing to keep Martin a surprise until he arrived and seeing him sneak up behind Michael and surprise him.  Well done Cara for planning that!!  After we had all caught up, and with Martin having had a drink at the bar, we headed back to Michael and Cara's flat to have some more drinks and play the ever popular Cards against Humanity.  On a side note, something I learned this weekend: London Off-Licences don't have a curfew.  Fantastic.  After a game of CaH, and about 2:30 or so we then headed to bed.

Saturday morning came acalling, and we all got up slowly, and had a nice cooked breakfast (thanks Cara) before heading into the sunshine to explore a bit of London.  Our first stop was the area near the river, with us passing the Millennium Eye (or Coca Cola Eye now, I believe).  This was quite a nice riverside walk with lots of performers and the Udderbelly, of Edinburgh fame.  It is seemingly shipped down before the fringe.





Crossing a bridge, it was off to Downing Street, including some nice gardens, but the big attraction was some police action that revealed a small, 19 man anti-semantic protest that was completely outnumbered by a wonderful amount of counter demonstrators.






After spending some time watching the demonstration, we headed off through some of London's trendy streets and past a lot of the colonial embassies.  Here, we ended up at the original Forbidden Planet which is a sprawling two-floor store of wonder.  I got completely lost in there but loved just wandering around all the memorabilia and comics in the place.  I've never seen so many wonderful things in one place in my life.  

After Forbidden Planet, Michael then led us to a real ale bar with a massive collection of beers and ales, including one I had from Dogfish Head (an American company that you don't really get over here) and one that Michael had, called Vladimir P which was one of the best I've had, period.  Nothing beats a nice beer on a hot day.




Jumping back on 'the tube', we headed to Camden Market, which is one hell of an experience.  Just walking along the street (before you got to market), you are passing a huge number of trendy and Goth shops, filled with everything you can imagine!  Then you hit the market itself, and the smells of all the food stalls hit your and lure you in.  It was here that we decided to have a late lunch, and we ended up splitting up to go our separate ways and explore the different food stalls, before meeting up with our lunch.  Here you got a damn good selection of different foods...from Korean to Malaysian to Moroccan to Mexican, and plenty of it, for cheap.  I ended up with a steamed Chinese bun and a massive beef burrito.  Stuffed!! We then headed further into the market, which was filled with an eclectic range of stores.  I'm talking vintage travel trunks right next to designer coasters right next to opera masks.  I genuinely imagine you could find almost anything you could ever want in the market!  I'm going to have to make a return for a day!











Finishing up, it was time to go home but the day wasn't over!  After relaxing a little in the flat, we headed into the local fun fair for a quick wander around.  Here I managed to lose £2.50 on those machines where you drop 10p into the slot and there is a chance to knock coins out and win them...it really reminded me of when I was young and the shows would come round.





We then headed to the 'adult play park', an outside gym for a little bit of light exercise (even though we had been walking about most of the day) and some light spinning!  Then it was my first game of Settlers of Catan!  Now, I was told this was a very slow game of Catan, but I still had a lot of fun playing it.  As such, thank you Michael, Cara and Martin for playing with me and showing me how to play!






And then we come to Sunday morning, which after some delightful lazing around and chatting (thank you Michael for the croissants and expresso), it was time for a rather special event: we got video called by all the adorable children at the South African Orphanage that Michael and Cara befriended, looked after and cared for as family.  Nothing puts a smile on your face quicker than a whole bunch of adorable children who are little bundles of energy and joy all smiling and talking into the camera.  This call then quickly descended into a whole lot of silly faces and stuffed animals but everyone involved had a huge amount of fun.

Sadly we said bye to Cara (who wasn't feeling well) and Michael, Martin and I headed to Spitalfield food market via one of the trendiest markets I've been to.  Seemingly, this is where a lot of designers get discovered.  However, we did not go to Spitalfield for clothes, dammit, we went to eat!  

You see, every Sunday, the biggest ethnic food market I have ever seen arrives and I have never seen anything quite like it.  Just stalls and stalls of every type of food you can think of (and some you couldn't) as far as the eye can see.  Mauritian, Ethiopian, Brazilian, Korean, Japanese, Indian, Nepalese and many others were all available.  I ended up with some sort of South American (Michael believed Mexican) corn bun with black bean and spiced pulled pork and some Gyoza as well, plus Michael got us some Korean kebabs to share as well.  We ended up eating on the pavement kerb which was the perfect place for such good food.





Heading through some streets adorned with Indian food and sweet shops, we meandered towards the Tower of London and the Tower Bridge, before following the river towards the Bridge of London, where I headed into the murky depths of the Underground were I said goodbye to Michael and Martin.  And that brings me to now, as I type this up on the train back to Edinburgh.  






I just want to say thank you to Michael and Cara for inviting me to London and for showing me some proper sights, and thanks to both and Martin for helping make this a fantastic weekend.  As usual, it was great seeing all three of you and I can't wait to see you all next time!!


Pick of the Week


London Markets - Now, I have only been to two (the ones mentioned above) but both were absolutely spectacular.  I could spend hours in both, just exploring the multitude of stalls and tasting all the different foods.  If you're ever in London, please, please, please make a point of visiting a market, and getting some food there.  You won't regret it at all.  Both markets were particular highlights for me, and I bet they will be for you.


Music of the Week

Time for some country music this week, and from classic!  Oh yes, it's Willie Nelson - City of New Orleans!


See you all next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment