Monday 29 June 2015

No Surrender at Sandyhills

Wow, it seems like Alison and have been travelling a lot recently!  It does, especially when my blogging isn’t necessarily up-to-date or in order.  This weekend though, we did a bit of time travelling for a change.  However, put your police booths and get out your DeLoreans, it isn't actual time travel: it’s more of a return to the past.

You see, we decided to visit my parents' caravan down near Dalbeattie, which I hadn't been to in something like 7 years.  So, after a couple hours driving through to Dumfries and Galloway, we arrived at Sandyhills Bay and got the caravan set-up.  Afterwards, we went for a wander around the beach (the caravan is right next to one) and clambered around the rocks for a bit: another old favourite.  I used to love playing on the rocks and remember one time I got stuck and...actually, I don't think I want to talk about that...


Then it was time to head to another old haunt.  Yes, it was a second blast from the past, The Clonyard or, as I called it when I was younger, ‘The Parrot Place’.  And yes, I called it this because it had a parrot.  I was not the brightest or most imaginative child.  Nothing like some good, old fashioned pub food…the kind that goes great with a pint of ‘best’.  I admit this was slightly different from when I was a child but close enough!  Here Alison and I did the grown-up thing and discussed accounts and finance, as I will be moving in soon!  Scary but that’s for another day.

Dinner wound down and it was off to bed.  The next day, we got up and fuelled up with some croissants before heading to Threave Castle.  Now, I love most castles but this one was particularly interesting because to access it, you have to row across to it: it’s actually on an island!  Nothing makes me feel like an old-time warrior than having to cross water to get to a castle.  Fighting the urge to take a charge at the castle, we got our tickets and explored the castle and island which is pretty uch the same as most castles.  

Crossing back over the water and ringing the bell that I missed (it’s so the boat gets you…the boatman told me to ring it before you think I was playing around…), we headed down the track to visit some resident, nesting Ospreys.  Whilst I'm no bird expert, it’s amazing and mind-boggling to find out that it was the same two Ospreys that have been nesting together in that same location for years.  The guy who was monitoring them told us that they would head to West Africa separately then come back to Threave castle to nest.  Fascinating example of how amazing evolution is.

















Getting slightly lost (what’s new, eh?), we drove to Castle Douglas for some lunch in a local café, and a wander round in the sun.  Lovely little town where we were able to seem some beautiful wooden furniture (moving in, remember?), some handmade British chocolates and some craft ale from a rather hidden brewery in town, that someone may have bought a few beers from...ahem.




With the sun still shining, we headed to one final memory of mine: Kipford.  A small coastal village, I have many fondd memories of wandering around this little town looking for hidden secrets.  You see, along the pathway, there are loads of hidden people and creatures made from wood and rocks, by some secret artist.  Even as an adult, it’s magical to explore this little grotto and see what has wandered out to gaze upon you.  Following the trail, we then wandered to the cove for a bit and clambered around the rocks for the while.  I even won a roll from oink during a game we played!














Then came the star of the show; Risk!  You see, after dinner and another walk round the beach (this time to the fabled ‘what’s the time, Mr Wolf’ grounds), it was time for a board game evening.  And the chosen game was Risk!  I will be honest…when I play against Alison, I lose most board games.  Except one.  Yup, you’ve guessed it, Risk!  I kick ass at Risk.  I have won 100% of all risk games I've played (only 3) and this was no different.  I took every single country in the last game.  I spare no mercy for my enemies or my girlfriend!!!



Ahem, after my conquest, it was time to head back to present day and to Alison’s house.  Sigh, it was nice to visit my past for a while at least.


Pick of the Week

CrashCourse – Well, I think it’s time for a lesson, don’t you??  What’s your interest?  History of the Mongols?  The Oort Cloud?  US politics?  Whatever your interest is, it’s likely that Crash Course has at least one video on it!   Basically, this is a youtube channel that makes learning fun and free!  You can get ‘Crash Courses’ (ohohohoh the name is…ohohoh) in a variety of lessons, that are animated and humorous.  If you have ten minutes, check it out.  Thanks to Michael for the link!



Music of the Week

Time for another golden oldy, and an example of blatant disregard for bridge jumping: Bon Jovi - It's my life.


No comments:

Post a Comment