Tuesday 22 May 2012

Master of puppets?


Not much has happened to me this week…
.
..
….
…..

Seriously, nothing much at all.  I have been to work, came home and relaxed.  It makes it pretty difficult to write an interesting blog.  In my defense, it has been really, really warm and when I’m too hot, I become lethargic and sleepy.  Well, more so than usual.  It doesn’t help that the heat prevents me from getting much sleep as I need to be covered with something when I sleep and therefore, I very quickly roast in my room.  However, I have now bought a fan so that I am slightly less roasted with an incredibly irritating vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvnoise to lull me to sleep.  This makes me incredibly lethargic and lazy and sweaty. 

Hmm I am guessing nobody wants to hear about me sweating, so I will swiftly move on.  There is one interesting phenomenon that comes with having a (fairly) regular blog.  It forces you to reflect on yourself and what you have done.  This ranges from:’

‘What was it I had for dinner that night?’ and ‘What did that girl say yesterday?’
all the way to
‘What am I doing with my life?’, ‘How did I end up here?’ and ‘Have I made a lot of mistakes?’

I am not going to regale you with fancy tales of how I sit for hours in a dark room smoking and drinking whiskey as I try to understand the deepest darkest recesses of my mind.  That would not be true.  I mean, I don’t smoke nor do I drink whiskey.  In all seriousness, it isn’t quite as dramatic as this but during my time writing the blog, and especially over the past couple of weeks, I have found myself assessing the choices I have made and started looking at my future.  I started off my blog listing the four main goals I had (one which I have completed woohoo!) but these were just the tip of the iceberg and this iceberg is one that changes on a regular basis.  It changes when I complete one of my goals; it changes when I decide I don’t quite like the idea of that goal; hell it changes when I’m hungry and my next goal is to have a sandwich.  However, I do plan to complete all my goals.  That doesn’t change.  

The difficult thing for me is motivation, I will be flat out honest.  As noted, I am often lazy and lethargic but I plan to change that.  Can’t change a leopards spots?  Adobe Photoshop, bitch!  These days you can have that leopard in zebra stripes riding a fire-breathing bear that can fly.  So, in the interest of changing my spot, I have a plan.  You see, I have a list.  A list that I carry in my wallet at all times with me.  A list that no-one knows about or has seen, other than me.  A list that has my hopes, dreams and goals written on it.  A list I am going to publish here.  Why?  It will motivate me as I have will have informed everyone what I plan to do.  So, I invited you all to get involved with my goals, my dreams and my future.  Shout at me for not being proactive enough; mock me for having something silly on my list; celebrate my completion of items; but overall, get involved!  The list is below ladies and gentlemen:

Record a Podcast
Start a youtube channel
Live in Japan (at the very least, visit Japan)
Live in Hong Kong
See a rainforest
Write a book
Finish and record my film
Finish my anime series
Visit as many countries as I can
Get married
Learn to dive
Climb Kilimanjaro
Return to Tanzania
Get my PhD
Swim with Dolphins
Plant a tree
Publish an article
Have something published in National Geographic
Seen a London Musical
Go to The Fringe
Be on Something for the Weekend
Try dirt biking
Contribute to a comic series
Contribute to a video game
Do as many things from ‘1001 things to do before you die’ as I can
Get a working knowledge of the Sciences, space and electronics
Go to Canada

There you go… my life and my future has been turned into an electronic list on the internet for all to see.  So, get involved!  If you have any more suggestions for things I can do, let me know!  If you can help, let me know!  I will blog all my attempts to try and get these done (as well as reviews etc) and hopefully, I can start ticking some of these things off!  Hmm not a bad post seeing as I had no idea what I was going to write about when I sat down to type.

Picks of the Weeks
 Ouran High School Host Club– As you know by now, I’m an anime fan (or I am an Otaku).  I’ve watched a fair bit of anime, from lengthy series (Naruto – 21 series so far) to shorter but thought-provoking series (Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood) to whimsical, light affairs (Bamboo Blade).  Out of all of these, Ouran High School Host Club is the funniest.  Rarely a few minutes go by without my snorting with laughter or giggling uncontrollably like a tweenager who just got a Valentine ’s Day card from that weeks ‘love of her life’.  

Set in a school, it revolves around a social club which is designed to entertain the girls at the school, in a way that parodies the Otaku culture.  Combine the lead character who is female but pretends to be male, the overly herioic/dramatic club president and a host of other fairly memorable characters along with over-the-top stories, you begin to get a well written comedy show.  But wait, there’s more!  Beneath the surface of this lighthearted cavort, is a slightly darker and deeper vein.  

 Again, I’m not talking about Alfred Hitchcock dark but throughout the individual episodes (as well as throughout the series), you start to learn about some of the characters lives and their individual experiences e.g. the 3rd son who no matter how hard he works, will never match his two older brothers.  This actually brings some needed depths to the characters, creating a show that makes you laugh but also at certain points, it makes you think about what you have just seen, through good writing; multi-layered and sympathetic characters; and sheer over-indulgence of dramatics.  

If you don't like anime, then I might not start with this one  but if you have dabbled or like anime and haven't seen it yet, then start today.  Also, use english subbed to get the best experience.

Song of the week
Hmm interesting choiece this week but I am going to go with the artist Random - One Winged Angel.  Basically, this guy wrote a rap album based on Final Fantasy and he is brilliant.  Original and interesting and worth a look.  He also just released a kickstart funded (which I donated to) album so check it out as well:http://megaranmusic.com/album/language-arts-volume-one  



So I think that may be enough from me...sorry for being delayed again but it is so hot, I haven't had much energy at all.  So if you need me, I am going to continue trying to crawl into my freezer.

No comments:

Post a Comment